Management Software

M

Hi all,

I am 6 months into a full time PhD. I am a midwife doing a PhD in a Health Psychology department, and will be using a variety of different methods for my research.

I am starting to struggle with the organisation of my work, and was wondering if anyone uses any project management software that they would recommend? Ideally, I'd like something that I can give myself daily, weekly and monthly targets, with some form of Gantt chart included.

Already I see the time slipping by, and need to get a handle on it some how! How does everyone else manage setting goals and making sure they meet them?

Many thanks

James

W

Microsoft Project 2007 is a good suggestion. If you want to use something for free, then I'd suggest GanntProject: http://www.ganttproject.biz/

Good luck

C

Hi

I'm bumping this topic from last year instead of creating a brand new topic as I'm thinking about using some project management software for PhD planning and I'd like to see if anyone has any further suggestions. I'm on a Mac and will be looking at Ganttproject as it looks quite good. Merlin (the MS Project equivalent native for Mac) also looks good but I'm not that keen on paying £140 for the licence once the free trial is over.

So does anyone have any other ideas? I'm also really struggling to list my key tasks and then break it down into the myriad smaller tasks that "Writing the lit review" entails. Has anyone nailed that as a plan? I'm in Social Sciences (educational ethnography) so, of course, my research will look very different from a hard sciences PhD but getting any ideas of how to break everything down and what software people have found useful would be great.