Married women and doing PhD

E

So Smoobles we can change the title of this thread.... ;-)

S

Yep, we'll just call it 'anyone doing a phd who has problems' ;-)

E

Agree... :-)

L

Quote From emaa:

From my experience, last year my husband was doing a master, I had to do all the house work, shopping... etc. Both of us had almost the same deadline to submit work. while he could finish his work on time I couldn't because I had to do all things particularly cooking for his friends who came everyday to help him... another story... last summer his family came to visit us for 2 months. I was totally busy with them, they didn't help me in doing anything... So I couldn't make any progress in my thesis for 2 moths...

Wow. It sounds like there's a fairly different culture over there and I can see why you might want extra support. My boyfriend would never get away with leaving me to do all of the housework, and I don't think many of the other guys I know in the UK would either. Maybe the girls I know are just meaner.

H

Quote From lindalou83:

p.s. I can't help but say, no-one gets upset about the PhD mums/PhD parents threads do they?! Why is this thread any different? I'm not trying to provoke, I am genuinely interested to hear your views.

Oh I have no problem at all with support threads for people in specific situations. Or even face to face peer support at unis. But I find the formal supervision of 'married women' as described in the opening post a combination of weird, patronising, and excluding. As I said, I think that unis and the academic community in general need to be more responsive to the fact that lots of people have a range of demanding life circumstances, and that shouldn't hinder academic/professional progress. To say 'hey look, we're sorting this problem by helping out the married women' takes a rather narrow view of what the wider issue is, and leaves other people who may need similar peer support out in the cold.

H

Anyhoo, I'd like to apologise for derailing a support thread. That wasn't really my intention. I just wanted to highlight that some formal measures that universities take to apparently address a problem can be detrimental in other ways that might not at first seem obvious. Overall, I think pigeon-holing people is a bad idea.

S

Quote From labpixie:

Quote From emaa:

From my experience, last year my husband was doing a master, I had to do all the house work, shopping... etc. Both of us had almost the same deadline to submit work. while he could finish his work on time I couldn't because I had to do all things particularly cooking for his friends who came everyday to help him... another story... last summer his family came to visit us for 2 months. I was totally busy with them, they didn't help me in doing anything... So I couldn't make any progress in my thesis for 2 moths...

Wow. It sounds like there's a fairly different culture over there and I can see why you might want extra support. My boyfriend would never get away with leaving me to do all of the housework, and I don't think many of the other guys I know in the UK would either. Maybe the girls I know are just meaner.

I've heard that us British men are well-trained when it comes to housework. Some of my foreign female friends have actually expressed disbelief at me cooking - that's not even cooking well, just cooking. Plus, my (American) girlfriend seems well-pleased with the amount I do around the house.