master and Phd in one programe

A

hello every body
my wife had bachelor degree since 6 years in economics she is looking now to continue her post graduate study after long period of staying at home with the kids but we prefer one program (master and phd) ,
we searched in Canada but we didn't find such programs.we need your advice
places of preference Canada ,France

T

Why do you want to do an MSc and PhD combined? Many places have these separately now, and an MSc isn't required to do a PhD if a good BSc is held.

If you want to study in mainland Europe (as opposed to the UK), then an MSc is essential I think. There are combined MSc/PhD (1 +3) in the UK, as I was going to apply for one but did my MSc separately in the end....as for France and Canada I'm not too sure. Maybe an MSc first and then apply separately for PhD is best in this case?

A

In the UK if your MSc (or equivalent) is particularly good in terms of grades, or you simply enquire, there is the possibility of counting the MSc as 'Year 1' of PhD. However, this would mean paying MSc fees for a year of PhD. PhDs are generally cheaper on a yearly basis. It also means that if you do decide on this path, and drop out of PhD, you may 'lose it all'. - I was offered progression to 2nd year PhD from my MSc programme and eventually declined, I wanted more letters! No, I just wanted to be careful really.