Masters Distinction for PhD admission?

M

i m studying MSc at the Warwick University, if i study seriously and sacrifice some good time, then i think i can hope distiction. But does it add any additional value while considering PhD applicants at oxford or cambridge university? some suggestions please please!!!

I

Hey :) It definitely does help. But don't expect any kind of guarantee at all. Before I got my Masters distinction, I didn't even get an interview for a PhD. Afterwards, I got two interviews (both of which offered me the PhD), but for some others I didn't get anything at all.
But don't let that discourage you - go for it, as it will help. Good luck! :)

M

Hey i00t2000:
Thanks,

You definately encouraged me to go for it any way. Cheers

S

Of course a distinction looks good

But I think most people on here will tell you that, when it comes to PhDs, the department is more important that the University, so Oxford/Cambridge may not be the best option depending on your field

M

Hi SixKitten,

Thank you for your nice comments.....cheers

V

How you did in your first degree also matters.

P

It can help. I was lucky enough to get a distinction in my MSc too and was admitted directly PhD without an interview. A short discussion to establish that my supervisors' interests were the same as mine, and that was that.

J

It certainly helps, go for it. The MSc is only one year anyways, so, can't you give up one year of "good time" for something you'll be proud all of your life and will help you later on? The distinction, however, is not the only factor when considering admission. I got mine and my current supervisor told me that without work experience he wouldn't have considered me. Another of his students didn't have distinction but managed to get in. And even another student had a distinction but failed to proceed to 2nd year.

M

Message Removed.

V

Hi it would help. Whether it's essential or not depends on the candidate. How you have did in your first degree would also have an impact at those unis (I know because I have contacted Cambridge myself about a PhD research project and they took into consideration what I got).

G

Hi All,

How about a Third Class (BSc) plus a MSc wth Distinction?

Do i still have any chance gettin into a PhD programme ?

Gary

G

I don't think the main thing is having a distinction or not. Its having a good idea and convincing people that you are the right person, whatever your background.

J

A distinction in the overall course would enhance your chances of getting an offer from Oxbridge. If not, you should try to get 70 or more on your dissertation. Also, don't forget the really key piece of document is your RESEARCH PROPOSAL. If you cannot demonstrate passion, interest, familiarity with relevant literature and potential contribution of your proposed study, the chances of getting an offer is close to nil.

M

hello everyone........
myself Mahesh.......I just joined this forum and trying to get some information from u seniors.....
I am studyin Masters in Pharmacology & Toxicology in Long Island Uni.,New York.And I am pretty much interested to do PhD. after my masters.......so can u please tell me the best way that guide me to my goal....I mean what things I should keep in mind while considering about college/uni. and what criteria I have to fullfill to get admission.....
Thank You.........