Maternity rights/benefits - can anyone help?!

Z

Maybe someone here can help. I am in my final year of the PhD. Money runs out in September and I am hoping to finish lab work by the end of October at the very latest.

I am also 7 weeks pregnant, baby is due 24th december (yep, a little suprise and what timing!).

However, although I am MRC sponsored, I get no maternity allowance at all. The sponsorship isn't direct so the MRC can't use their usual decent maternity support. The uni will only do hardship funds, but I am definitely looking into this.

The most annoyinhg thing though is this: I won't even qualify for the government Maternity Allowance, which is apparently given to all women; or at least all women with the exception of PhD researchers it seems. This is £106 a week and is a lot of money to not get.

Has anyone had this experience? Was I misinformed?

K

What do you mean by your sponsorship isn't direct? Is it that the MRC pays the money to the uni and then the uni pays you on their "payroll", as it were? Even if this is the case, you are still being sponsored by the MRC and it is up to them what to do.

Why can't you qualify for the government maternity allowance? That seems a bit bizarre... I'd suggest contacting your Citizens' Advice Bureau, it can't be that you are left without support, surely?

S

If the money runs out with the MRC in Sept then surely they aren't responsible for you after that anyway?

Contact your local benefits office and ask for their advice

F

Congratulations! I don't have any other advice to offer as I completely agree with Sixkitten and Kronkodile. Try CAB. Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

D

Can't help but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!