May be removed from PhD programme - Help?

T

I would greatly appreciate some advice - or any information if anyone has witnessed my "issue" before.

I am a 34 year old PhD candidate at a University in London (Social Sciences). I returned to education in 2009 to do my first masters in Political Science after finishing my undergrad in 2001. It went really well, better than I expected and ended up with a mid 2.1 overall with 64% in the Diss. During the year as I become more comfortable I started to think of a PhD position. However, I didn't have a concept and also it was becoming too late so I decided to apply to a higher caliber university to do a second Masters but in a more focused field within Security which would prepare me for a PhD. My second Masters went well initially finishing the 2 semesters with coursework and exams leaving me with an overall average of just below a Distinction.

I was subsequently offered a position in London initially with a conditional offer seeking a 65% in the Diss and Merit overall. However by the mid/end of Aug my status was changed to unconditional. I had met all the requirements of the University from my first Masters.
During the Summer I ran out of money and had to take a job (I had survived on savings up to then) - fine but my thesis suffered. I passed the thesis but my overall mark drifted down to a 14.6 overall where 15.0 is threshold for a Merit.

I have today got an email from my PhD university wanting results from my second masters. I am terrified that I will be removed from the programme. I spoke with the head of school at my previous university and he said I should just say that the thesis was an isolated incident and my marks from the rest of the year should allow me dispensation.

Has anyone ever heard of an issue like this before. The thesis is the only blotch on my 2 masters - will they take that into account?
I have invested so much of my own money into the past 2 and a half years - 2 masters and also my 1st year PhD fees - and I feel like its all for nothing now

D

Hi,

since the offer was unconditional I doubt that they will withdraw it.

However, you somehow need to make sure that working will not affect the quality of your PhD.

Good luck

T

Thanks so much for the response,
I got a relpy from my current University this morning to say that my offer was only unconditional for enrollment

Its so strange because even with my shocking thesis mark my whole average is just below a Merit/2.1
even with that they are proving strangely intransigent?

All the best