mendeley q

Can you put prefix thingies in citations?? I want to put an "e.g." in

(e.g. Smith, 2011)

R

You can but would have to do it manually. So if you had written blah blah (Smith, 2011) and inserted the citation using Mendeley then you would have to manually type e.g. in the parantheses so then you would get (e.g. Smith, 2011). I haven't found any other way around it yet. Hope that makes sense.

sorry, yes I've just realised this haha! In endnote the process is much more slow and clicky, so I didn't expect to just change it :$

Just trying to work out if mendeley will do everything I need :-)

P

Apart from the fact that you yet can't change the citation styles in an easy way (had to write my own CSL style) I just love it. Does everything I need and I love the online account, so I have my data everywhere I need them.

Thumbs up
(up)

R

glad I could help :-)

I've recently switched to writing in LaTeX as my sup suggested it would be a good idea because I will have lots of equations etc and the great thing about Mendeley is it automatically creates BiBTeX files if you tell it to so I can now cite all my references in word or LaTeX. However using LaTeX is definitely quite a steep learning curve!

Z

Hi,
Have just started using Mendeley after reading recommendations on here (thanks!). I downloaded the plug in for MS Word but don't seem to have a toolbar for citations etc. Any advice?!

H

Quote From zipidee:

Hi,
Have just started using Mendeley after reading recommendations on here (thanks!). I downloaded the plug in for MS Word but don't seem to have a toolbar for citations etc. Any advice?!

Do you mean you can't see the toolbar? Which version of word are you using? Is it a 64 bit version. The easiest way is to contact Mendeley support, they are very helpful and quick at replying too.

P

What do you mean by "I downloaded the plugin for MS Word"?

Normally you download "Mendeley Desktop" and then go to "Tools" -"Install Word plugin". If this "Install Word Plugin" does not exist, then you have an incompatible version (As choco said 64bit are not supported yet).

If you have installed the plugin through aforementioned means then you should find the Mendeley citation plugin under "Add-ins" in MS Word.

Z

Ahh - I see! I didn't realise that should look in add ins. Thanks! (up).

Z

Mendeley adventures continued: Am I going slightly mad or does Harvard usually lay citations out with a comma before the year?

A

Quote From zipidee:

does Harvard usually lay citations out with a comma before the year?

Yup, normally should be comma before year with Harvard