method, methdology

what's the difference?

and yes, I know I should probably know this now. But I don't (sprout)

E

Methodology is more "general" and includes your theory AND your method.
Method is the reserach tool that you have used to collect your data.

I am right, aren't I????

K

======= Date Modified 15 Jun 2011 19:20:24 =======
I agree- I think 'methodolody' would be, for example, 'this was a mixed methods study, combining a cross-sectional quantitative study with a qualitative component analysed using grounded theory' ....whereas 'method' is much more precise, including details of measures and so on. That's a bit of a rubbish example, but you get the drift! Best, KB

ok, I think I've got it now - may have to re-read all my work to make sure I've not used the wrong one haha! oh dear.

Actually I've only used method as a title so far (up) will make sure I use the right ones in the right places from now on!

F

When I used methodology as a subheading in one of my drafts, one of my supervisors told me: "not many people know this, but methodology is the study of methods". I never checked this out though, I just took her word for it and changed the subheading to methods as this supervisor is usually really good with language-y stuff.

P

Hi Sneaks, this paper explains it well: Methods in Qualitative Research Justifying Knowledge, Justifying Method, Taking Action: Epistemologies, Methodologies, and Methods in Qualitative research. 2007; 17; 1316 Qual Health Res Stacy M. Carter and Miles Little

Pm me and I can send you a copy

Dee

S

I always thought that 'methodology' was a 'posher' way of writing 'method', like writing 'within' instead of 'in'. Haha, oh dear.

M

Quote From Phdee:

Hi Sneaks, this paper explains it well: Methods in Qualitative Research Justifying Knowledge, Justifying Method, Taking Action: Epistemologies, Methodologies, and Methods in Qualitative research. 2007; 17; 1316 Qual Health Res Stacy M. Carter and Miles Little

Pm me and I can send you a copy

Dee

Very interesting paper, thanks! :-)

A

There should be a distinction made between 'methodology' and 'method' - which is probably easier to make for qualitative approaches. I would say that methodology refers to the engagement with particular epistemological/theoretical positions that will inform how you analyse your data.

Method refers to the way in which you collect the data - so perhaps experiments, interviews, surveys etc.

So my chosen method of data collection might be interviews but I can analyse that data in very different ways depending on my methodological approach  (e.g. foucauldian discourse analysis, conversation analysis, thematic analysis etc...)