MHRA headache....any advice?

I

Hi, I'm formatting my upgrade chapter using MHRA guidelines, but I was wondering whether anyone could shed any light on a particular issue with regard to references. I know that MHRA suggests not using ibid., as a means of cutting down on notes, and advocates using the page reference in parentheses. So, presumably, you'd write 'When I have fears that I may cease to be' (120). But what I'm not sure about is where you put the page number, before or after the quotation mark and the full stop, and whether you need to 'p', e.g. (p.120). I've looked in the handbook and there doesn't seem to be specific advice on this...any help/precedents gratefully received.

Hi Incertus. I think there is some relevant stuff in section 11.3 (p. 76) of the latest MHRA style guide (http://www.mhra.org.uk/Publications/Books/StyleGuide/download.shtml). It looks as though you would use an abbreviated title in the case you query. So the first time you refer to it would have given the full reference to Keats' Collected Works 1848 (or whatever) and thenceforth you would shorten it: 'When I have fears that I may cease to be' (Keats, p. 120). Giving the page number alone is open to misinterpretation - it could refer to any publication.

The page number should go outside the quotation mark, since it is not part of the quoted words, and the full stop should go after the parentheses with the page number, because it is marking the end of your sentence, not Keats' (see above). The examples on p. 76 are given both with 'p.' for page numbers and without, so it would seem reasonable to say that as long as you are consistent, either is acceptable.

Phew! Give me Harvard any day! Try to be consistent and logical, of course, but I would not worry too much - you would not believe how much of a hash a lot of people make of referencing, so anyone taking care is winning already!

I

Hi, cheers, many thanks. The MHRA don't make it easy do they??

I

Can I ask a subsidiary question? *groan* I know that when you're quoting in parentheses, you put the full stop after the quotation mark: e.g.: 'Cheese is made from milk solids' (216). What I'm still confused about is how you insert the page number when using the original full stop, e.g.: 'Cows eat grass.' (215) This is assuming that the original sentence read 'Cows eat grass.' In this instance, does the page reference go after the quotation mark (as shown above), or does it go after the full stop, but is enclosed within the final quotation mark, e.g.: 'Cows eat grass. (215)' Sorry to be obtuse, but this is really confusing me...