Mixed signals... MSc or PhD??

I

Perusal of various threads has me thinking that studying all the way to PhD level may not be for me...

I'll be registering for a MSc in October which could transfer to PhD, assuming everyone's happy. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for the best part of 5 years before I decided I wanted to do research, but the pragmatic voice has been telling me that I'm better off going back to industry once I'm in a position to transfer. Such sentiments are dotted around this forum.

The other voice says this is what it's all about, the cutting edge, and money's not be the all and end all. A postdoc in some exotic location makes me dream, but I'm well aware it is just dreams now and that the harsh realities along the way might change my outlook.

I

cont'd...

What do I want? The daunting challenge of securing academic work, whilst at the same time overqualifying myself for industrial jobs... or the safe bet of taking the MSc and running for dear life? Perhaps it would be wiser to do contract industrial work for a couple of years, with the freedom to eventully finish the PhD...

Not a bad quandary to be in, but it's a major decision.

A

it doesn't have to be an either or situation. why not to part time research and part time industry. i'm in a med school and it's basically unheard of to do full time! everyone has 2+ jobs.

A