motivation gone missing

W

Help, I need to finish my PhD but I seem to have a temporary (I hope!) loss of motivation! Have done hardly anything the last 2 days, and feel bad about it as every day counts at the moment. My Discussion chapter was due on Friday and it still hasn't materialised. My Conclusion is due this coming Friday. I'm worried I'm burnt out.

S

Last two days? so what?

Have a day off tomorrow too, then once you have had a little guilt free break then carry on. the deadlines can wait

M

what stu said. The more you stress the less work you will get done. take a day, go for a walk, do some shopping, whatever you feel like. Just do anything but think of work. Then get back to it on friday. Also set yourself some deadlines, but small ones. make it more achievable. remeber youre almost done. Just hang in there!!!

W

Thanks for your replies. I know it might seem like I'm over-reacting but because I work full time 2 days on my PhD is a real luxury and I feel like I've wasted it. I wish I could take tomorrow off but it's back to work (not PhD). Will try to take your advice and get some time off over the weekend. I haven't had a weekend off in ages which is probably why everything feels so frought and frantic. I know I'm nearing the end but that means I'm more worried about not making deadlines - i.e. my submission date will get pushed forward and I won't finish within 4 years.

W

I am writing up and I have not done any work over the last two days as well... I think it is the work of something or other in the air.

G

Not too sure about taking time off to re-charge and such like. Just sounds like procrastination to me. My personal rationale is to just get on with it as it won't do itself [unless there is a 'genuine' reason why you can't]. You'll have to do it in the end so it might as well be now. Sorry if that sounds blunt. I bet you prefer the other solution[s].