MPhil or PhD?

S

Hi guys
I just wanted to clear something up. I have reccently been offered a PhD and was told that if you had a first or masters you would be registered for a PhD directly but if you have a 2:1 you will be registered for an MPhil in the first instance and would then upgrade to a PhD. I have a first class degree and will have completed my masters by the time I start my PhD in October so will be registered for the PhD. However I thought that for all PhDs you were registered for an MPhil initially regardless of whether you got a 2:1, first or masters.
Does anyone know what the actual situation is with regards to this?
Thanks

K

Are you in the UK? My understanding of the whole process was that everyone was registered for an MPhil and then upgraded to PhD subject to satisfactory assessment at the end of the first year.

The only exceptions are (i think) for those 1 + 3 studentships that cover a 1 year research methods course and then the 3 years PhD funding (like the ESRC ones).

A

It is usual nowadays that everyone registers as Mphil/PhD in the first instance and undergoes some kind of formal transfer to the PhD route after 12-18 months work. The transfer stage is a useful step on the path to PhD and also, the Mphil/PhD route allows a student to complete the Mphil if they choose not to pursue a PhD (or have the decision made for them). However, institutions do differ in their policies so if this causing you concern, I'd advise clarifying the situation with the postgrad office. Good luck with your research degree.

S

Im in the UK and will be doing my PhD UK.

T

Yep, in a normal 3-year PhD your first 'MPhil' year is backdated as a PhD year after you pass the trasfer report/viva

N

In my department everybody is first registered for a MPhil and then upgraded. There are no differences in regard to your previous grades and qualifications. The only exception, I think, is for people who have done research previously (for example who do have a MPhil or who were previously registered for a research degree) - they may be eligible to register directly for a PhD.

B

I know someone who was registered as 'PhD direct' - so policies must vary from uni to uni (and also course/department specific).

As Ann suggested ... speak to the research administrator at the uni you are applying to - they'll be able to clarify this point for you.

H

shanghaichica, sounds like good news for you, you wont need to faff about with an upgrade process!

S

yep, I got a first but was registered as MPhil for the first year.

C

Me too. I got a first. I thought i would be registered as PhD but was told it'll have to be Mphil/PhD.
Personally, i think its a good idea to start from MPhil and transfer unto a PhD.

S

Thanks guys this is really helpful Im going to ask just to clarify.