MRes Under Achievement

G

I have no idea.

I didn't like them, so declined.

H

Would be interesting to know what you didn't like about them....?

(If you don't mind)

P

I think thats complete madness! When I did my MSc at UCL (in psychology) getting above 65 was considered a good grade. Most of the people round me worked really hard and ended up with grades such as 68. Our overall average for the group was something like 67/68; which I think is a pretty good overall average/grade.

To say that we are not worth bothering with because we dont all get over 70s is really harsh and quite frankly damaging! There was one guy who ended up with an average within the high seventies (over 75) and he worked ridicioulsly hard to get it. All he did was study, he had absoutely no social life and was obsessed with getting over 70 for all his work. 50 per cent of us got immediate offers for PhDs and only one of us got a distinction. Most of our group stayed on at UCL to study for a PhD and none of them had distinctions.

G

1. The city.

2. The University itself.

3. I had some reservations as to how much actual support I would have got.

J

Don't let him wind you up, Pineapple: that seems to be his only intended purpose on this forum

67 is a good grade by anyone's standards.

and there is the University politics... Having to equal students marks to 69.5 %, just because they are not allowed to give more than certain number of distinctions...

P

ok!

G

I've no intention of winding anyone up. I am aware though that the odd contributor here may have some unresolved personal issues with various of my posts in the past and that resurfaces now and again. I try and rise above it.

S

Thanks for cheering me up. After reading golfpro's post I thought my academic life was almost certainly over since i'll only manage a measly 65+ %

P

I don't think 65 is a measly grade at all. Well, I hope not because that was my average for my UCL MSc. My supervisors at UCL did not consider 65 a measly grade by any means, nor did my current PhD supervisors!

Also, I was told that my career was over when I graduated with a 2.2, but it hasn't stopped me from obtaining 2 MScs (from UCL), a PhD studentship and publications-so I hope that would be some comfort for you

C

Wow, good work *pineapple*.

Thanks for sharing your experience and showing your determination to suceed despite your initial 2:2. This should be an encouragement to many

Best wishes

D

Golfpro,
you constant bringer of doom you!

G

We're all doomed...doomed.