MSc admission is so hard for me!

S

I graduated bout 4 years ago with a 2:2 BSc degree in Chemical /polymer Engrg from a Nigerian University. I have tried applying for an MSc and have currently received 3 rejections. Is ther something im doing wrong? I have no work experience and i think this counts against me. I'd appreciate ideas, advice from anyone. Thank you

S

what did you do in those 4 years since graduating, then?

would you be self-funded or are you applying for funded places? i believe funding for MSc's is extremely limited - that could explain all rejections. if self-funded, do make it very clear in your applications that you do have the means to pay for your fees and the living costs.

good luck!

S

Where are you applying? Many popular universities will only take people with a 2.1 or above

G

I think it may be an idea to email the said Uni's and ask them why your application was rejected. They may not reply but it may provide some useful feedback.

S

I am self funded and dont need funding from them! In the four years i have been working some of the time but not in my field. Schools that want 2:2 want relevant work experience.

O

As you are self-funded it should be easier for you. Do you have a favorite place to go or a potential supervisor you know from somewhere or perhaps your old superviors know someone you can contact. I think it might be better to contact somebody whose field you want to work in, send him a proposal for your work and that you want to self-fund but would like to work with him, gain expertise. The other thing which might help is a good IELTS or TOEFL test as I know from my department that everybody likes taking international students especially with funding but they are worried that there English is not sufficient and they fail the university test last minute - as just happend after everything was set up.
Good luck

G

MSc Admission Oz.

V

Sorry to say this but maybe a degree gotten in a Nigerian University is not on the same standard as that of the British one. Maybe you should check what kind of standard is accepted? A postgraduate certificate might make up for this.