MSc or Phd?

E

I graduated a year ago with a 2.1, since then I've had over 6 months experience working in the field I'd like to do my further study in. I'm moving to a new university town soon, and would like to apply for further study there, but its a last minute move so I'm a bit late applying for courses. I don't think I can afford a full time taught masters, but it could be a long time before I could find a funded phd, if ever. Should I hold out or apply for a masters and risk being broke? What are my chances of a phd without and msc first? I'd really appreciate any advice!

S

What is the area?

V

Knowing your area would help a great deal. It may be possible to fund a masters with a career development loan which you don't have to start paying back until 1 month after the course ends.

C

I funded my MA with a career development loan from the bank. I didn't get the job I really wanted when I finished so ended up temping and this made the repayments quite a burden. I started my PhD in 06 without funding and was still working to pay off this CDL. Now I am halfway through paying it off (yay!) and have now got funding for my PhD (which will be used to be me to pay off the CDL too!). So finally it has worked out!

What I am trying to say is: a CDL can fund you, but you may have to work part-time towards the end of the year to carry you through (you can only take out £8,000 with a cdl).

V

Thanks for the info chrisrolinski. I will look for work straight away after I start my masters so I will be able to start paying off the CDL once my course ends.