My final push diary

S

It may feel like mission impossible but I'm sure you'll do it! good luck!

P

Thanks for your support Skig. There is no alternative but to do it.

B

Hi Pam. It won't be crap. You'll get it done. Besides, there will be time to make corrections ( I know that's maybe not motivating) but I'm having trouble with my intro with discussion/concl still to write and I'm thinking it's crap too. At least external tells you whats wrong and how to correct it, at least, that's what I'm led to believe and that's what I'm thinking at the mo. At this stage, probably like you, energy is low. low. low.

You've done loads of work. It will be just fine. I'm sure. Now, just get the damn thing printed, be done with it and treat yourself.. Good luck and well done in advance.:-)

D

Kudos to you both on all your hard work, PamW & Blackbyrd!

If it helps, Blackbyrd, my sup advised to start with writing the last chapters first - the conclusion and discussion. Most likely this is what the examiners focus on in the viva. Also, it seems like once you get that bit done, the intro is easy.

That was my experience anyway.

Good luck & hang in there!

A

Today is your day Pam, wishing you the best. You can breathe again once you have submitted.

Best of luck to you and everyone on this thread (up)

P

Thanks Ady but I'm not sure I am going to make it. I know I can submit electronically but i don't know if I can get the binding done in time and hope that if I submit the hard copies tomorrow morning it will be OK.

S

Pam, I know that everyone says leave plenty of time for binding but you may not need that much time. Mine only took half an hour (?) because they weren't too busy. It's uni's summer hols so they may not be busy. Try to give them a call and let them know the situation. I find they're usually more than willing to help:-)

P

Thanks. I've just called and left a message. Fingers crossed. If I can take it in at 3 to be picked up at 4 I can do it!

P

Hurrah if I get it for 3 there will be no problem.

B

Good luck Pam! Thinking of you. And hoping the minutes go slow today to give all the time for binding.....Fingers crossed ;-)

B

Dalmatian,

Thanks for the advice! I think you're probably right. I'm putting off the discussion/conclusion. Need a bit of distance from my findings so I hope when I re-read them, the discussion will just flow! I'm treating this intro as a draft. Supervisors will hopefully get some comments, then I can re-draft once I get the discussion/conclusion done. I have to edit everything anyway (well most chapters). But, yes, I'm a bit nervous that the intro is a bit shaky. Oh well. Still thinking it can be changed later..... probably not the best attitude but I'll get stuck 'perfecting' it and run out of time if I don't try to get something down now. 10 days to go. Oh crappo!!! Better get on better today.....

P

reprieve from the gallows! As my electronic submission window closes at 23.59 tonight, I have wangled with the office to take my bound copies in tomorrow morning. It doesn't mean I will slack as I am supposed to be out tonight celebrating. The extra time will just help me tidy it up and bit and get the printing done this afternoon. Hurrah.

S

Excellent news :-) it feels like a massive weight is lifted as you walk away having handed it over - puuussshhhhh for these last few hours :-)

P

I don't belive it. Someone does not want me to finish this phd. my uni account has expired so i can't log on to submit my thesis. i'm now on hold to the it people.

D

Yikes!...Talk about Murphy's Law!

You really deserve a double martini once this is over!8-)