my second supervisor has been changed

J

If you remember earlier in the year, I was asking about someone wanting to be my second supervisor when this had already been chosen, well I got an e-mail today telling me that the change has been made- no idea what strings were pulled, but some must have been. Which is really really good as this guy is so enthusiastic, same as my other super that I think progress could be much faster. - however it is really scarey as well as they are both leading experts in the field and I am just the lowly worm and in comparison know absolutely nothing. How can you argue your point when they know so much more. Panic mode is setting in rapidly as I know great things are now expected. HELP

sounds like a good problem to have. I should think if someone so well respected was queuing (can't spell that!) up to be your second supervisor you must have something going for you. Enjoy it.

S

joyce, i totally understand about feeling under pressure to perform in face of such a great supervisor! you want to impress them, make a good first and subsequent impressions, you want to get the most out of them, you want them to think you are good. you might be worried that they will discover you for a fraud.
my sup is famous and great, too. i found that the way i manage is that i simply stopped worrying about the impression i make on her - instead i always listen very carefully to what she says. there is so much to learn from her! so our meetings are less about arguing my point or such, but more about: i throw out an idea and then observe what she does with it. and learn from that. this works for me. maybe you could re-define the supervisory meetings in your head, from an occasion where you need to prove yourself, to an occasion where you have the opportunity to learn from these smart people?

J

You are right I will be doing a lot of learning from them! They both expect great things though as they taught me on the MA course and one wrote on an essay I submitted that it was probably the best thing he had read all year, but when I send anything in I always think - is it on topic,have I missed the point etc. or even - is it a load of rubbish! and of course they come out with all these names and think I have heard of them all, which I haven't. Still I think it will be a great experience, you can't get better than the best can you