My supervisor is leaving

B

I'm just finishing my first year in a PhD program. The (only) reason I chose the program that I'm in (I had other offers) was that there was someone here with whom I wanted to work, and he agreed to supervise my doctoral work. But now, it seems he may be leaving for another university. There's really no one else for me to work with here. What does one do? (I imagine this is a common situation.) Could I transfer to another PhD program (with approval, etc.)? If I reapply for programs by starting again, then I'll have completed my second year here and I'd be loath to begin as a first year PhD student somewhere else after all that. Any advice? How often (if ever) to people *transfer* in this way?

S

is your supervisor refusing to keep up his commitment with you? if not and you are independant enough you could keep them as a supervisor (distant) and appoint a second supervisor in your department to ensure your day to day work?

Its happened to a few folk in our uni and they tend to stay with us, but work periodically with their supervisor at their new place.

S

Its fairly common for supervisors to up sticks and go. Its up to your department/research institute to ensure that you have appropriate supervision - your agreement is with them. If there is no-one else suitable at your current institution they have to find you someone (regardless of location) who can see you through to completion.

J

See it as a chance. You might get an even better supervisor. Of course the opposite is equally possible, but what can be certain in life? I wouldn't change universities, just wait and see what happens. A fresh view on your project might be beneficial in the long term. In fact, the new supervisor might be less friendly, but more rigorous, thus adding extra value to your project.

E

you can retain your association with your original supervisor and if they are moving to a higher grade university it may be prudent to ask for that. If they are not then you can pick from your faculty and find someone you gel with. Students too often think their supervisor is more important to the process than they are in reality. It is YOUR research, they are just the traffic wardens helping you avoid one way streets and tailbacks.

C

Entrepreneur is quite right. It may be a way for you to have a cv association with a better university where your new supervisor has gone, while having a second supervisor at your existing university (your geographical base).

A

I certainly know a prof in my current department who has moved universities and taken her whole lab with her, PhD students and all. I assume if they had trouble with a change of location due to family commitments or whatever, the other university would have been required to make some provision to keep them on in some way, shape or form.

How come you haven't discussed this with your supervisor? Do you not have a good relationship?