my viva experience

J

I had my viva today and it was 3.5 hours long, the external examiner went through my thesis page by page (thankfully, i don't have a very long thesis, it is about 100 pages). But he asked me almost every single definition and formula written in my thesis (I spent a lot of time in front of whiteboard to do deduce my formulas, explain them and even tried to visualize them to convince him), and he was not happy with the notations I used and doubt the notations was wrong (Actually, after viva I checked my notations with the book, and it turns out to be I am correct, and this part of work is also published, I get really depressed with this part of my viva), I explained a few times and he didn't seem to be convinced with my notations and explanation. Anyway, I passed my viva with minor corrections. But one thing bothers me is they ask me to do my corrections within 6 months, and also claim this is a pass with minor corrections. After that, I didn't feel very happy about this 6 month corrections which implies I have to do awful a lot corrections and make feel I actually I didn't achieve something major. Isn't the case that minor corrections should be completed within one month. Why they give me 6 months to do the corrections and still say this is minor corrections. I don't understand that part. I think the problem must come with the notations because I used this kind of notation throughout my thesis. What he said in my viva was he suggest me to change the notations, but I am correct why should I change it, and I can back up by books and my published paper). This really makes me feel annoyed and depressed after viva. No mood in celebrating although every one else keeps saying congrats. But I don't feel I should be congrat. Anyway I hope I can do corrections within one month.

S

Hi justapostgrad,

I think everyone else is right: congratulations!

Unpleasant as your viva sounds (doesn't sound a lot like mine but I don't know your speciality, so don't have a frame of reference: I'm guessing maths, physics or engineering), it's over and you've passed with minor corrections. Errrrr... if that's what they said. Were you given a list of corrections and do you have a handle on what is required? Who's checking them to approve them? If you can do them in a month, great. But I wouldn't be pissed that they've given you too long!

In fact, my understanding is that for minor corrections, you normally get three months, not one. I got 12 weeks (essentially, the same) and had them done in 6 weeks, including the enforced break of the despicable season (Christmas).

Now go out and celebrate!!!

It depends on University regulations - minor corrections can be one month (my old place) or three.

If it's six months, they you'll probably find when you get the paperwork it is listed technically as major corrections. I thus think you're right not to celebrate yet and you need to see what corrections they want before you make that judgement. (Thinking back, even when I had minor corrections, I didn't feel like I was there until the hard bound copies of my thesis were handed over and I got the acceptance letter. I'd gone into viva privately expecting major corrections if I'm honest with myself.)

However, the examiners saying "minor" suggests that whilst there may be a significant volume of corrections to make, that it's not something that you should worry too much about. It may be the corrections need say two months to do, however, the University regulations might have only allowed for one or six months.

So don't panic as I think you're nearly there but reading the above, you are probably wise to consider yourself not over the line yet.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

S

Sometimes, I actually wonder why I post in this forum. I think there's an element of having been through the process of doing a PhD, knowing how hard it is and feeling somehow obligated to share my experiences with people going through it... from trying to pick a project through to the viva and corrections. And encourage where necessary.

Mackem_Beefy:-
1. I added the proviso "Errrrr..." in my previous response as I am well aware that there is a vagueness regarding the nature of justapostgrad's corrections.
2. I am also well aware that institutions differ in time scales. That's why I said "normally". The norm seems to be three months for minor corrections. Curiously, mine sometimes offers eight weeks as opposed to twelve. Nobody seems to understand the differential. It's probably dependent on which way out the examiners are on the day.
3. Well of course, with post-viva corrections you're not over the line until you've done them and the examiner(s) approve(s) them. However, with achievable corrections - and justapostgrad SHOULD have a clear idea of the requirements after the viva - and no requirement for a re-examination (?), it's an "all but....".

Even minor corrections are not necessarily the breeze that some might have you believe. But with minor corrections, you've essentially achieved the standard,j-a-p, and nobody should take that away from you. Unless you're mad enough to do another PhD, you'll only have one "viva-pass day" in your life (and a Friday to boot :) - mine was on a Monday :-E ). So let everyone buy you a drink.

Quote From SimonG:
Sometimes, I actually wonder why I post in this forum. I think there's an element of having been through the process of doing a PhD, knowing how hard it is and feeling somehow obligated to share my experiences with people going through it... from trying to pick a project through to the viva and corrections. And encourage where necessary.

1. I added the proviso "Errrrr..." in my previous response as I am well aware that there is a vagueness regarding the nature of justapostgrad's corrections.
2. I am also well aware that institutions differ in time scales. That's why I said "normally". The norm seems to be three months for minor corrections. Curiously, mine sometimes offers eight weeks as opposed to twelve. Nobody seems to understand the differential. It's probably dependent on which way out the examiners are on the day.
3. Well of course, with post-viva corrections you're not over the line until you've done them and the examiner(s) approve(s) them. However, with achievable corrections - and justapostgrad SHOULD have a clear idea of the requirements after the viva - and no requirement for a re-examination (?), it's an "all but....".

Even minor corrections are not necessarily the breeze that some might have you believe. But with minor corrections, you've essentially achieved the standard,j-a-p, and nobody should take that away from you. Unless you're mad enough to do another PhD, you'll only have one "viva-pass day" in your life (and a Friday to boot :) - mine was on a Monday :-E ). So let everyone buy you a drink.

Simon... to be fair I don't think Mackem_Beefy was trying to insult you (you come across a bit defensive, although I may have misread that?)

S

Hi Noctu,

Thanks for your insight. I personally have no particular interest in this, and was merely trying to offer encouragement to someone who I felt - on the basis of information provided in their initial posting - was doing him/herself a disservice in the face of what is a fantastic achievement, and not do him/herself out of appropriate reward... I guess one sometimes has to strike a balance between ultra-caution and pragmatic optimism.

T

Quote From Noctu:

Simon... to be fair I don't think Mackem_Beefy was trying to insult you (you come across a bit defensive, although I may have misread that?)

Agreed

Quote From SimonG:

WTF???

I was actually trying to be honest with the OP. Six months for "minor" corrections is unusual and the point I was making is I believe the truth is somewhere between major and minor. He has to wait for the examiners' comments.

I don't want the OP to fail and I sincerely hope he passes. You've misread me I'm afraid.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

J

thanks for the replies I double checked with my internal examiner today, and he confirmed that I pass with minor corrections, and no 2nd viva needed except that only subject to the satisfaction of internal examiner. The reason for 6 months is I have to finish my corrections and submit final version of my thesis within 6 months, I think I misinterpreted yesterday. Anyway, today I feel a bit relieved and will cool myself down with some drinks later on. really appreciate everybody's suggestions, advice and encouragement here....

No idea what's got your back up and why Simon but enjoy your weekend (other insights available upon request!)
Just a postgrad - that's great news, glad your examiner responded so quickly. Congratulations!!

Quote From justapostgrad:
thanks for the replies I double checked with my internal examiner today, and he confirmed that I pass with minor corrections, and no 2nd viva needed except that only subject to the satisfaction of internal examiner. The reason for 6 months is I have to finish my corrections and submit final version of my thesis within 6 months, I think I misinterpreted yesterday. Anyway, today I feel a bit relieved and will cool myself down with some drinks later on. really appreciate everybody's suggestions, advice and encouragement here....

I'm still puzzled as to why if you've minor corrections, you've been given six months. The normal is either one or three. I was wrapped up a week after my viva, corrections done, approved and hard bound copies signed off. That said, your supervisor may want another look (say for the odd minor page or paragraph restructure) and that might add a couple of weeks to your schedule.

That said, you seem more relaxed. If you've misinterpreted the examiner's comments and you only have a few minors to sort, then chances are you'll wrap this up in a few weeks. That's good!!! Now go have a few drinks, you're almost there. Get back to it Monday morning and wrap it up.

As for SimonG, one thing be realised is I tell things how they are. I will not create a false positive in someone's minds to make them feel better when it is not truthfully where they are and I believe the truth as I understand it is more useful in helping people make an informed decision, which must ultimately come from within. That said, I will also try to offer the right advice as to how a person might move on from that situation to find themselves in a better place than they are now.

What is the best approach? Simply to make a person feel better without concrete advice or to be honest and then offer a practicle way forward?

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

T

Quote From Mackem_Beefy:
[quote]

What is the best approach? Simply to make a person feel better without concrete advice or to be honest and then offer a practicle way forward?

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

I think that's rhetorical.

Quote From TreeofLife:
Quote From Mackem_Beefy:
[quote]

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

I think that's rhetorical.

The question I asked was meant to be rhetorical. :-)

Anyay, it's time to move on from this now.

Justapostgrad, best of luck in getting sorted out. ;-)

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

J

I just get confirm from my supervisor and internal examiner I have to do corrections(within 6 months) subject to the sanctification of both internal and external examiner...really depressed and stressed. My supervisor said the external is giving me a second chance, does anyone have any experience about this? Now, I don't know what to do except for being panic and the corrections haven't arrived yet.

Justapostgrad,

Sorry to hear that things have not gone as expected.

When I first repsonded I was suspicious that they'd said 6 months for minor corrections (before leaving academia, I'd help mark and examine M.Sc. students' work hence my different take - some on here have gone onto work fully in academia and will no doubt end up with PhD students of their own - the six month outcome will be all too familiar to them). The continued involvement of the external examiner suggests something a little more that minor corrections and that some revisions are required. The good news it seems is that you are not being recalled for a second viva not are you facing revise and resubmit, so it appears your thesis is not that far away. You have also performed sufficiently well in viva that provided you satisfy both examiners' concerns about your thesis (and once you satisfy them) that you should be awarded a PhD.

At the moment you have not received the corrections, so I would try to put them out of your mind until you see what changes they want. Once you see the corrections, you can then discuss with your supervisor how to go about any changes and give structure to your approach to these revisions. But until then, I would not worry about something you can not yet do anything about.

You're not that far away to be honest and it sounds as any changes are moderate (possibly a change in approach to results analysis or a re-edit of some parts of your discussion, say) at worst. It does NOT sound like you're going to have to restructure large parts of your thesis as would occur with revise and resubmit.

In otherwords, whatever you face is not going to be unbearably onerous and simply a matter of sorting out a few aspects to the examiners' satisfaction. So I really wouldn't worry that much.

You're not quite Dr. yet, but in six months or possibly a bit less you will be.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)