NASTY PHD SUPERVISOR

M

YES I HAVE SOLID EVIDENCE THAT WAS ALREADY SEEN BY A LAWYER, THE PROBLEM IS TO PAY FOR THE LEGAL PROCESS.

Quote From msarajevo:

YES I HAVE SOLID EVIDENCE THAT WAS ALREADY SEEN BY A LAWYER, THE PROBLEM IS TO PAY FOR THE LEGAL PROCESS.

Can anyone advise as to entitlement to Legal Aid for foreign nationals here?

I gather you're a Bosnian national from your username so with you being outside the EU, I don't know what advice to give.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

B

Quote From Mackem_Beefy:

Quote From msarajevo:

Can anyone advise as to entitlement to Legal Aid for foreign nationals here?

I gather you're a Bosnian national from your username so with you being outside the EU, I don't know what advice to give.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

Foreign nationals are eligible for legal aid on the same basis as UK nationals (subject to financial status and an approved legal advisor saying that there is a good chance the case will be won). However, as the OP's legal advisor has not suggested either legal aid or the 'no win no fee' deal but instead quoted £15k, this suggests to me that the lawyer either has little hope of success in court or is trying to take advantage of the OP. OP I would try another lawyer (look for one that offers free consultations) and ask about legal aid and 'no win no fee' deals. If a second lawyer is unwilling to offer either, then I am afraid it looks like a weak case legally, and I would not advise pursuing it.

M

I AM FROM MEXICO. THE SOLICITOR SAID THAT IT IS EXPENSIVE BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO PAY TO A BARRISTER AND THE FEESC OURT.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

T

Yes I am afraid it is very hard to complain. There is a complaints body for Universities but they need records of every communication- which you will not have. Gaining a PHD is not all it is meant to be; it is if your face fits largely and if it suits the career ladder of your supervisor and the University remit (as suggested by Beefy) . You may even be expected to use methods or sample sizes that are unsuited for your research.Yet people who have a pHD have their work published more easily . people without a PHD still have contributions to make and a lot more practical experience and independent thought at times.

D

Always the supervisor at fault isn't it, never the student at all!

*rolls eyes*

Quote From DanB:

Always the supervisor at fault isn't it, never the student at all!

*rolls eyes*

:-)

T

Of course, it is sometimes the student who will not listen but it may also be supervisors and there needs to be some independent form of monitoring and support.

D

Personally I think it's a big step to take and almost certainly a mistake.

K

I am an international student who has been experiencing a poor supervisor. I went through the appeal and I won it. However, I put complaint against him because of some critical reasons. I have been receiving the support of my university adviser. However, he missed some regulations of the university. But, I still had some evidence to support my case. I am still in the process of my complaint. Now, I can no longer trust my adviser. on the other hand, I have heard that ' the OIA only compensate 1,000 pounds for distress and things like this'. For this, I would like to go to the court and complaint against the University. Of course, the problem is that I am not sure if it would be posibble to find a well experienced, expert and trustworthy solicitor. could you please advise me on this critical issue?

Thanks

M

In my experience in the UK, I will say that you should not trust in anyone in your University, they protect between themselves even though you are right. I decided to represent myself in the court because I do not trust in solcitors either This option exist and I have done research on how to do it. If you wish to contact me please feel free to do it. My advisor, betrayed me, knowing how unethical the supervisor is.

P

I'm in my 3rd year of PhD and this has been the worst experience that I have. I arrived in Scotland super motivated with the research that I would do for my PhD. Nowadays most of the PhDs projects are written by the supervisors and it makes sense because most of the students when they finish their degree they don't have enough knowledge to write a PhD project. In the past PhD people would do a PhD when they had at least 5 years of career which means they would have acquired enough knowledge to understand what they wanted to do. So in this way Supervisors nowadays need to change their concept of PhD and they cannot leave a PhD student by their own and suddenly expect from the student to be a genius. Supervisors need to share their knowledge and understand what are the trainings that the student needs in order to succeed in his PhD. Most of the PhD students that I have meet complain that their supervisors don't care about their progress and some don't have a clue of what they are doing. We are using public money to train qualified people. So what is the purpose of spending public money is supervisors that don't have the skills and sensibility to train a PhD student? I'm sick of this bullshit , I'm sick of the lack of humanity! Maybe because of this we will find in the literature opposite results, maybe because we are publishing data that our supervisors don't know how we did it. If this doesn't change we will be spending public moneys to do bad science!!

P

The only way that I could progress in research was to do a PhD. Before going to a PhD I spent few years doing research until I found the area that I would love to spent 3 years working on it. If you work with passion working 12h in the lab are amazing. But this you will only enjoy if you have a good supervisor that give you feedback about your results, that knows what you are doing, that helps you thinking in others ways. The relationship between supervisor-student need to be dynamic otherwise who will suffer with the lack of dynamic will be the student. And supervisors need to remember that most of the students in Uk are foreign people away from their families, friends and it is a real pain in the ass when you don't have a supervisor, you work alone with any colleagues around, when you try to meet people and they are cold. I have experienced the worst feeling of loneliness.
I went in a severe anxiety and told my supervisor who didn't care about. But he didnt care about what Im doing for a long time, since I start my PhD. I try to add more 2 supervisors in my 2nd year but was also useless, I try to find a doctor to medicate but the health system its sucks. I try to speak with the counselling about the lack of supervision and was useless and when you are trying politely to ask for help and you don't see any return, anyone that will give you support you collapse. Its inhuman when you expose yourself that you are fragile and what you receive is disdain.
The University should protect their students and give them the best support. The University doesn't have any clue about the level of dissatisfaction of their students. They just care about numbers of PhD graduated and publications.

P

Im really pissed with my supervisors and I never imagined that they could be so cold and unconcerned about what was happening with me. I didn't improve much in my PhD and because of my severe anxiety I need to do things slowly. I will finish this PhD but I don't think I will continue doing science in this way, where everyone is concerned about their life and there is no sense of teamwork. Doing science should be a teamwork, change of ideas, excitement, but also persistence, positive thinking and effort.
Doing a PhD is not a hobby, is not like we are in the secondary school playing science. Nowadays we have so many information and so many people specialized that we are not using all this resource to progress in science, to get good results even if negative. I don't trust in many of the the publication that come out because of this situation. Its frustrating when you want to give your best, to do good science, to give a contribution to science and what you see is bad science, is all about publication without being authentic.

"If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together"

I don't want to be fast , I want to go far!

P

Quote From msarajevo:
In my experience in the UK, I will say that you should not trust in anyone in your University, they protect between themselves even though you are right. I decided to represent myself in the court because I do not trust in solcitors either This option exist and I have done research on how to do it. If you wish to contact me please feel free to do it. My advisor, betrayed me, knowing how unethical the supervisor is.

This is quite an ordeal you're going through...My sympathies

I've been contemplating legal action against my department/supervisor too ( negligence, unprofessionalism, stealing work, sabotaging work, deliberately blocking progress), and I'm a home student. But I see you started this thread 2 years ago! Have you had any progress in your case? And how difficult has it been to get someone to believe you? Because I keep getting told nobody will believe me.