Need advice about CV

P

======= Date Modified 07 Jul 2012 21:08:25 =======
I am applying for a lectureship in the social sciences and currently revising my CV. I have a monograph that's been accepted for publication by a publisher. I have the contract to hand but haven't signed it. I've proposed the same work to another publisher (considered one of, if not, the best) and the proposal is under review. I'll like to add this work/title to my CV but unsure of how to go about it without looking unethical to the search committee. Can I indicate on my CV that the title has been accepted for publication by, for example, University of Bolton Press, but currently under review at the University of Cambridge Press? What's the best approach? Something like:

Patseya, G. Female Circumcision: A Rite of Passage or a Ritualised Violation of Women's Rights. (accepted for publication by University of Bolton Press and under review at the University of Cambridge Press).

Your thoughts, please.

T

Hi Patseya,

When I was applying for jobs, my supervisor told me that, yes, what you've set out regarding the progress of your publication looks fine. On a separate note, I was also told by my examiner (also a friend) that it can be a bad idea to submit the same work to more than one publisher (actually this discussion was with reference to journal articles, but communities are small and people do talk). Would both publishers want to publish the same work you've done?

I'm not sure if this completely answers your question, but I hope it helps anyway.

P

======= Date Modified 17 Jul 2012 01:39:04 =======
Sorry Tracy, I haven't been here for a while. It's wrong to submit the same work to more than one journal at a go. In my experience, when submitting a manuscript to a journal editor you have to declare that the same manuscript in other formats, languages, etc, etc, has never been published or currently under consideration by another journal. However, I'm unsure if this applies to books. Both publishers never mentioned that I make this declaration and looking at their website as I write this, there is no word on this matter on the website of both publishers. Of course, I'm not going to ask two publishers to publish the same work. That must be a crime of some descriptions. Nonetheless, I've read about instances when people initially submitted works to, and get accepted by, less prestigious publishers. However, before proceeding, and, for some reasons, they resubmitted the same manuscripts to top notch publishers only to get accepted again. In the end, they went with the more prestigious publisher and ditched the less prestigious. I'll do the same. Of course, if the prestigious publisher declined to publish my work I'll stick with the existing publisher. The thing is, I wanted something on my CV which shows that my work has, on the one hand, been accepted for publication, albeit by a less prestigious publisher; and, on the other hand, under consideration at a top notch publishing house. I'm aware that rumour mills grinds round the clock, lol, the title and publishers mentioned above has nothing, even remotely, to do with my work. 8-)