Need cheering up

C

I've just got back a thesis chapter from my supervisor and he said that it is difficult to read and not ready to submit. He compared it really poorly with a recent thesis in a viva. :(
I just hate the whole thing so much, I'm desperate to finish and want to give up academia, and I'm in my 4th year and have no money. After waiting 2 months for him to read my thesis he has found mistakes in this chapter he didn't spot the first time round (claims must be new bits) and he is suddenly unhappy with the style. I made all the corrections he suggested before. He will go over it on Friday before he goes away for 3 weeks (he apparently needs a holiday despite being one of these supervisors that is always away on conferences).

C

The best bit, he has apparently finished off 5 theses (reorganised sections for say 2 days) to avoid people just not submitting! He told me this as he says it is the worst case senario but he's rather not do this!
He's left me hanging as usual as I can either wait 3 weeks for him to come back as will not get through everything this week. That would mean sumbitting late Aug-Sept (bear in mind I gave him a complete draft the end of May).
Or...I can get him to sign the paper and submit while he is away, maybe getting other people to read it.

C

The reason he is being so thorough is I am weak defending my work so need a solid thesis in case I mess up the viva.
I feel rubbish, and stupid and let down for the umpteenth time.

K

I am really sorry to hear this CC. I can't offer much advice except to say I completely understand you saying you hate your work now and just want it over! I have to keep going until early next year - you only have to cope for another couple of months. I know it's not much fun but try and see the bright side - that it really will all be over soon. Inspite of all the bad things, it's good that your supervisor is being thorough - can you try and do as much as possible on your own before your sup gets back? THen you can make a list together of the last things to do before submitting. Some of the changes maybe more minor than you think - try and take a short break from it. You may then realise it's not so bad and you can make the changes more quickly than you think now. ALl the best cc. Do keep us posted!

J

Hi cc, I can totally identify with just wanting to finish. I am desperate to finish, but so far off. You are close, but the saying 'so near, so far' really captures those last months and weeks I think. The situation with your sup is frustrating and I'm afraid I don't have any words of wisdom. But I do empathise with your desperation for an end!

S

sorry to hear about your troubles. i can't give you any real advice, except maybe not to take rash decisions now. after four years, what are three weeks? can't you just take your own time to do the corrections, and if there is time left before your sup comes back, go on some holidays yourself?
hope the Dr.s around here can help you more.

B

Never mind, cc, if it makes you feel any better - I didn't even give mine to my supervisor... I just surrendered myself and told myself my latest chapter wasn't good enough and digitally 'ripped' it up... ohoh... data, data, data! Deadline Sunday!

B

CC - it seems as if your supervisor is feeding you some tosh. Any decent examiner would expect a student to be nervous during their viva (and this affecting their responses). My supervisor told me a story about a via he was on the panel for, where the person was so nervous they just totally clamed up, and getting them to say anything was like squeezing blood out of a stone (nevertheless, the person still passed!). They are judging you primarily on what is written in your thesis, your viva is to clarify you wrote the thesis, have an understanding of what you've written (and some related arguments), and to clarify any points that they think need developing/are unsure of.

Having said all that, if your supervisor says the thesis isn't ready for submission, it's better to hold back now, take a few more months, so when it does go in you know it will 'do the job'.

R

Hi cc,

I am sorry to hear regarding your troubles. Like the others I cannot give you any real advice. May be it helps to be aware that you are not the only one in this situation, see the postings on this forum. Also there is light the end of the tunnel, yet you may not see that now. You have come do far, would be a pity not to persevere and finish the PhD. It may help to write a few things down for yourself, as a means of reflection and to be able to manage your frustration. Voicing your concerns, like you are doing on this forum is also a good means of coping with it. The more your speak / write the less intensive the feelings may become and the easier it will be to manage your feelings

C

Thanks for your replies
I also forgot to mention I spent 2 years trying to get stable protein and the only sample of oligo went off and there was no more, and the prof decided he didn't want the paper he asked me to write. The collaborating professor is now able to produce more oligo and my supervisor's new student is going to do the experiment. With this experiment (providing it works) the evidence is very strong and interesting and definately worth a paper.

C

Hi cc... sounds a bit like my supervisor... Mine also finds mistakes in things I give him to read, which before he said was fine... I am no place near the thesis write up, but I am sure I'll be just like you when I am... sooo desperate to finish! Good luck, hang in there.. you are almost done!

C

Dont worry - at least your supervisor cares enough to read through it and find some mistakes/ comment on the style - mine has now had three of my chapters for four moths and not a sinlge comment from him yet - when I do get things back he has just corrected a few typos - frankly my hubby has been more helpful and I have no faith in my supervisors knowledge of whether it is good enough or not - Id far rather he ripped it apart frankly...at least I would have some idea of whether Im on the right track or not..

P

Sorry its all a bit pants - keep on, the end is nigh, big hug for you.

C

Feel better. Slowly adjusting to the disappointment of another 4-6 weeks to submitting. Supervisor can't give me a date for the next meeting in 3 weeks as doesn't know when he is back, figures.