Need Help in Getting Started

S

Hellow everyone,
I'm thinking of doing PhD here in the States. I currently have a bachelor's degree so I will be taking some "bridge" graduate courses.

I am planning to continue my full-time job while doing my PHD. I also have a family (wife, 2 kids).

I want to get an idea of the study habits that are required. How many hours during the week are typically spent studying.

Do you think it is practical to pursue a PhD with a full time job + family?

Can you recommend any tips that I can follow to get used to PhD life during my applicatioin process?
Thank you

S

hi SavvyRookie

"I am planning to continue my full-time job while doing my PHD. I also have a family (wife, 2 kids)"
If you still work full-time it may be even more difficult to manage your phd. You'll have to be highly motivated and organized; and sometimes it is challenging to manage a full-time job with a phd AND running a family all at the same time.

"I want to get an idea of the study habits that are required. How many hours during the week are typically spent studying."
Study hours really depend on the individual. It also depends on the kind of phd that you are doing.

"Do you think it is practical to pursue a PhD with a full time job + family?"
It is not impractical but it is also not impossible. You will need very strong support from your family; especially your wife. If your children are very young, it could take a toll on your spouse. Look at all the options you have, for example grandparents. If you have the support of your parents or in-laws, it could be easier for you to manage childcare etc.

"Can you recommend any tips that I can follow to get used to PhD life during my applicatioin process?"
"Thank you"
There are lots of tips, you can get those from those PHD advice-books, how to write, how to do research etc. Its too long to post it here :-)

S

Thank you so much!

S

Hi SavvyRookie

I am in the process of starting a part time PhD in Biomedical Engineering and I talked to a research officer yesterday. I asked him the same questions you have asked. He said it would take approximately 4 to 6 years to complete as my PhD is quite specific. This was based on roughly 20 to 30 hours per week (I would expect to do more!!).

I also have a wife, full time job and three young children.

I hope this helps
(up)

S

Thank you Stephen. Glad to know I'm not totally crazy in attempting to do this!