NEED HELP PLEASE

P

I do not understand the examiners report and my supervisor too, what I should do. my supervisor told me to appeal, is this a good thing any advice will be appreciated.

C

Is it for a viva? Did both examiners agree? If you are contesting there may be a time limit, or regulations at the univeristy. I'd try and find out the rules first.

P

Thanks cc for your question..yes its after viva Their joint report shows that they did not understand my work and they asking me to do something which i do not understand and my Supervisor as well, the problem is that my supervisor is going to leave the University for New Position in another university… any advice folks…

O

Contact the examiners and talk the report through with them. If I were you I did that in person, i.e. not by email. Just make an appointment and travel there. I'm sure they can explain what they mean.

P

Thanks o.stoll for your reply...Do you mean I should arrange an appointment by the phone first or write email to arrange an appointment? Which one internal or external or contact both. Bare in mind the university regulation does not accept such contacts.

O

I would ring them up to make an appointment, both of them. I would however, also make it very clear that you do not seek any further comments, but rather their comments are unclear to you AND your supervisor.

I am aware that the university does not allow such contacts, but in your case it's different because you don't want any advice, all you want is a clarification of the required changes, and this is perfectly legitimate. If in doubt, ask your supervisor or head of department concerning the rules in such a case that neither you nor your supervisor understand the comments by the examiners. As your supervisor doesn't understand them, it is very clear that clarification is definitely required as otherwise you are unable to proceed in making these changes.

C

I think you need to find out ASAP by phone or any method, and maybe get an acting "supervisor" to be around for advice at your univeristy, or insist your supervisor stays in contact.
Have they said you have passed and just have corrections, or is it more serious?
Worst case, there are options to be examined again by different examiners if you don't accept a decision, but within a time limit I'm pretty sure.
Sounds strange that they don't understand. In my field the examiners would be very knowledgable and carefully chosen to be in the right area of research. Hope it gets sorted out. I think you need some senior academics to throw their weight around and get it sorted.