new PhD stident with a family

L

Sorry to barge in..........

Can you claim 'child tax credits' if you are on a studentship and have young children?

S

Long - alas no you can't as you are not paying tax.

P

I'm in a similar situation - 3 kids, and I'm doing it part time. (And I'm 38!) I did my degree part time 10 years ago and was obsessive, so my family are ready for the pain. I'm (fairly) undaunted by the prospect of all the work, really because I was under no illusion it would be easy. Part time and family, something WILL give. It's better to know beforehand what that is..

P

anyone from Warwick Business School or Warwick University, can you describe your experience overall?? thanks a lot..

B

I think there is an additional factor that PhD mums often don't factor in- what you do after your PhD.

Academia is notoriously bad for work life balance, and to be a top academic today is almost incompatible with a normal family life, (hell its hard enough to satisfy an adult partner, let alone give you time to raise children properly). Couple that with the lack of security as a post-doc and the need to relocate at the drop of a hat, I would ask very serious questions before anyone took that route.

This is a good paper that discusses some of these issues (if you can get it).
http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=ED296632&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED296632

J

im a single parent on limited funds about to commence my doctorate in september. it hasnt been easy. i have come this far on my own. i had student loan for my bacholors i finished in 2004 at age 38- i got a 2:1. i finihed my master of science last year with a merit. i do wonder how il cope with my doctorate as i am self funding with no help. i have saved my first years fees and will over the year save the next years. its not easy. but i am determined. my children are aged 17 and 18. i have suceeded this far and i will finish i tell myself.

J

hi. quick one..i get child tax credit for my 2teens and im not paying tax

P

jade, you inspire all of us that have families - i say this with all heart that its our determination that gets us to accomplish what we set out to do. btw, how does one apply for child tax credits?

thanks