New to PhD study/life

J

After finally finishing a BSc with a decent grade, I've now taken that extra step and am about to undertake a PhD. I've mixed feelings about this, ranging from excitment to bone-crushing dread. Any words of wisdom to give those of us just starting? No doubt I'll be posting quite a bit over the next few years so get used to seeing this name. :)
Thanks.

R

Hi Jochma,

welcome at the forum.

I think the trick is, as your are indicating yourself already to ask a lot questions. Usually there is someone who can help and it is also a good means of reflection.
Also in my opinion you may need encouragement now and again as everyone seems to go through up and downs. This forum may provide you some support regarding this as well.

S

Gosh! I've recently been asked quite a bit by friends starting PhD's whether I have any tips to pass on. I'd probably say that one of the essentials is to make sure you have a good support network - family, friends, colleagues, this forum. A PhD is an emotional rollercoaster ride - so you need people who can bring you up when you're feeling low, and some you can share your highs with! For the PhD itself, difficult to know where to start - I'm a bookaholic & use 'How to write a thesis' by Rowena Murray - directed to the writing side of a PhD, there are also others like 'How to get a PhD' but I don't have a copy of this so I don't know if it's any good. I can also recommend http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php to keep you laughing through the process

C

Hi Can' offer any advise, but wanted to say hi, and I'm new to all this too. Starting PhD in September/October and going through the same feelings of excitement to dread! I've done quite a lot post graduation as finished 4 years ago, but still don't know if I'm prepared... Are you at the same institution? part of my worries are based around the fact Im moving to a new city, anfd have met my supervisors for all of 20 minutes and that was during an interview!

S

Hi,

I know how you feel. When I applied to do a PhD and I was ask to go go for an interview I felt quite excited. The interview went okay. I was asked how I would tackle various problems and gave the right answers. However when they wrote to me and offered me the PhD I began to doubt whether I was going to be able to cope. What if I couldn't find out anything new and original? Would they tell me half way through that there was no point continuing?. I have accepted the offer and start in September, so its fingers crossed.