New to the forum!

V

Hi everyone- I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello; started my phd (full time, funded in social sciences) about three weeks ago and am lucky to have a good supervisor (so far/I think/hope). One prob I have been having is worrying continuously- that other students are 'better', further along than I am etc. Is anyone else experiencing that sort of thing? And, if so, any ideas for reducing these (probably) ridiculous anxieties?

V

Hi Bibi!

Thanks for the message- it's really good to get a bit of perspective from someone who has already experienced this sort of thing; I've been reading a few earlier threads and it seems a lot of people have the whole "someone is going to realise I shouldn't be here" anxiety.

My PhD is in international relations up in Yorkshire- and though I'm enjoying it jargoney language seems to abound in politics; hence the worry!

Thanks again Bibi- your message was really reassuring and it's cheered me up so much.

F

Hi Vince

I am an environmental archaeologist doing a physical geography PhD! I started 3 weeks ago. All the best with your research and catch you on the board.

A

As someone wise once said, there is only one way to do your PhD, and that's your own way.

http://www.cs.mdx.ac.uk/staffpages/richardb/PhDtalk.html

By definition, PhDs are novel pieces of research and as such, you are (or you hope you are!), the only person doing that specific project. Hence, it's not really valid to compare your progress to other students. Just do your best and hope for the best

N

Hi, Vince, welcome to the forum! I've just started my PhD (Music, Royal Holloway) and I feel a bit like you, i.e., not confident enough with my skills, my choice of topic (which seemed perfectly feasible when I wrote my research proposal but now seems HUGE...). I try not to worry much about it and I think that as soon as I get into a PhD routine, allowing time to socialize etc, it will be fine (or at least that's what I hope...).

V

Hi everyone- thanks for the messages and advice; in a few months everything will probably/hopefully settle down for me and other PhD'ers who are feeling a bit anxious at the mo!

Look forward to speaking to you all on the board and thanks again!