News magazines

I'm thinking of subscribing to a news magazine, and was wondering if anyone has read, more than once, Time, The Economist, or Newsweek, and whether they could recommend one or another. Time seems thinner, but is a lot cheaper than the Economist, and I don't know that much about Newsweek.

Also, has anyone used student-subscription-service.co.uk to subscribe to anything?

D

I haven't used that one , but have used nordic subs before to subscribe to New Scientist.

And my choice out of the three would be Economist, Time is way too American-centric for my liking.

I have no problem with American-centric per se, although The Economist is clearly more in depth. Having said that, it's also huge, and a lot more expensive than the others (£89 per year from cheapest sites, compared to £30 for Time).

N

Since I'm in science, I'm subscribed to New Scientist. Like it for my popular science, and not too expensive.

N

I would probably read Newsweek out of those as I'm in the social sciences so wouldn't have so much interest in New Scientist or the Economist. I regularly read the Times Literary Supplement though, that has a lot of interesting articles in it.

What is this student subscription service?

Hi Natassia,

I think the title of The Economist is a little misleading, as the majority of the news isn't really economics focused. Admittedly, it does have a more beefy economics section than the other two magazines, but it contains a lot of other content too.

The student subscription service is a website which offers subscriptions to a large number of periodicals (mainly non-adacemic) for reduced prices, but only available to students. It's been online for ages as I remember looking at it a while ago, but I'm wondering if their offers are too good to be true and if there must be a catch.

D

Are they the ones who have little leaflets often around universities? I remember picking up a leaflet from something similar many moons ago and subscribing to something, and my housemate used to subscribe to the Economist through it.

And no con - I've used a couple of subscription sites and they're okay and get good prices.