Nightmare with Supervisors - Please Help!

H

Sorry for long text but I need help & your advice will be greatly appreciated. I started my PhD in 2007.
I had 3 supervisors (1,2,3) and #1 was my principal supervisor. #2 & 3 never supervised a PhD student and my #1 might not have any experience either. After 10 weeks, I started to have problem with my #1 who didn’t want to meet & give feedback. But she asked a lot: systematic review and publication in my 1st year. Since I owned her the gratitude for giving me maintenance fee, I tried to work hard & shut up. After 6 mts, conflicts btw supervisors, my #3 told me to see PhD postgraduate committee for a change of #1. The guy didn't believe what I said & things didn’t get anywhere. After 9 mts, at this time my #2 was planning to go on maternal leave for a year & #3 was moving to different univ. Since my 1st yr review was coming in 3 mts, I needed the support, colleagues advised to request for a change ASAP. #2 supervisor rejected the idea & said I owned #1 the gratitude. The Head of School turned me down for the change: I went against a senior staff, I owned a big gratitude and so I should keep #1, and if I publish any paper, #1 name should be on there. I said I paid international tuition fee for my PhD, it was not all free. It then took me months with no results for new principal supervisor. Finally, I went to the College with the help of Student Adviser. The college acted on my favor & created a supervision panel with 4 supervisors but no principal supervisor and so no main contact: my #2 & #3 old supervisors & 2 new ones. Anyway, my supervisors have not made my life easy after I involved the College. They created a supervision agreement which I had to have a doctor note if I miss a meeting & I couldn’t see them about my work unless extremely emergency.

In 3/2009, I had 1st year viva but failed due to missing 1 study and the method was unclear. My supervisors had my report for 4 mts but no one said anything about this that makes me lost trust in them. They also put me on stand with questions at the panel. I feel they wanted to fail me at the time but didn’t do it cause they afraid I would file a complaint. So the panel gave me 6 mts to makeup. My supervisors made me worked 60% than what was asked from the panel. I finished 3 chapters of my thesis since, but they have lost interests in my work They don’t want to give me more support & try to cover their back. Feedback fr 3 supervisors are mostly verbal, no editing on my 2nd report that is going to 2nd panel. If I clarified anything especially the admin side, they made it so tough and included head of school, postgraduate committee etc. I talked to my #2 supervisor, who didn’t care & made me felt dumb for asking questions. I feel that my supervisors want to fail me at 2nd panel. I wanted to quit now & go somewhere else but will get nothing or even after 2nd panel. I'm now dreadful to see their emails. I can no longer cry after 2.5 yrs stress. Don't know I should carry on with 2nd panel/leave

U

Hi Hidi, you have clearly already accessed Student Services as you mentioned an advisor. some time with the Dean of Students to discuss your case and possibly the careers section would help. All you really need is to have your options clearly laid out to make a decision about your future from an informed base and to have your emotional and personal needs met and I honestly feel that Student Services are best placed for both of these issues. I do hope that things work out for you.

H

Quote From uwicpaul:

Hi Hidi, you have clearly already accessed Student Services as you mentioned an advisor. some time with the Dean of Students to discuss your case and possibly the careers section would help. All you really need is to have your options clearly laid out to make a decision about your future from an informed base and to have your emotional and personal needs met and I honestly feel that Student Services are best placed for both of these issues. I do hope that things work out for you.

Thank you for your reply. I feel my situation is hopeless. The Student Adviser Serv. is the only place I could go now besides taking up to the College again. The School is very bad. I don’t think they will do anything to help. It is like a bureaucracy and politic. There was a case recently that one student was kicked out from School due to the complaints she made against the Head of School who didn’t do anything for months. My student adviser told me that it is not worth to continue with these people as they haven’t given me easy time and that I should appeal to get my tuition fee back. She saw one of my supervisors was harassed me in one of the supervision meetings and the length of time I had to wait to resolve my case. It took 8 months and that why I got the interruptions study and hence my 1st year viva didn’t take place until March 09. I want to quit but I have spent 2.5 yrs already and so difficult to let it go. Also, when I asked my supervisors if my project meets the standard of PhD, they won’t say, they said I have to wait for 2nd panel assessment to find out from the external and the chair. They will submit their report about my progress. I feel it’s unbelievable for supervisors not able to tell you if your project meets PhD standard. I thought that is why they are there to guide you and your work. I have 4 supervisors which I never ask for that many. I only want a principal supervisor as is a standard procedure. I think. Having 4, doesn’t mean I get more support but instead less. However, it is better for them to show the quantity that means I have a lot of helps. So I am hoping if anyone in this PhD forum has the same experience and can help me to see the light at the end of the tunnel.