No access to papers and standards

======= Date Modified 30 54 2009 10:54:25 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
======= Date Modified 29 20 2009 14:20:56 =======
Hey guys,

Can anybody tell me why my institute has access to certain academic papers and not others? From the 20 papers I've been looking for so far I have been able to access only 4. Surely we don't have to pay the 40 dollars or whatever it is for each paper do we?

As regards standards, I would like to have a look at various American and European standards but how do I get access to these? Again, is it a question of money?

grrr, very frustrating altogether
Angry

E

Quote From Ev:

Hey guys,

Can anybody tell me why my institute has access to certain academic papers and not others? From the 20 papers I've been looking for so far I have been able to access only 4. Surely we don't have to pay the 40 dollars or whatever it is for each paper do we?

As regards standards, I would like to have a look at various American and European standards but how do I get access to these? Again, is it a question of money?

grrr, very frustrating altogether
:-s

How on earth are we supposed to answer these questions? Ask the librarians at the library of your instition. I bet they are able to help you more than we here.

You did not even mention the university you are studying at. If it is a decent one, they should be able to offer you electronic access to ISO, ANSI and BS standards.. for free. Similarly, they should be able to search and buy the articles you need (at least this is how things work at my institution). I presume that you pay tuition fees. If this is the case, you should receive value for the money you have paid.

In conclusion, contact your librarian.

B

They have to subscribe to the journals. It's expensive. You might be able to get inter-library loans though (librarians get the papers from somewhere else).