No papers - is that bad?

C

I'm a 4th year on 3 years funding (Biochemistry) and have no papers, not even an acknowledgement. :( It makes me feel like I'm not doing well. How bad is it? Could I get a postdoc/work in industry without any papers?

The consensus with supervisor/young lecturer friend is that maybe I could get something after I have written up, but I guess I would then be working for nothing and I've seen it drag on with people, e.g. a postdoc went away to do a postdoc and came back to write to finish a paper, and another PhD has been finished 1- 2 years and I heard my supervisor saying he was working on his paper.

D

don't worry. Concentrate on the PhD. Papers will happen in due time.

M

I wouldn't worry. I'm in a similar position - 4th year on 3 years funding (Molecular Biology) with no papers.

I've applied for three post-doc jobs and have been invited for interview for two in the next couple of weeks, so i don't think it really matters. I'm hoping that IF I get one of them I will be organised enough to write my papers promptly in my spare time...

U

Some people write that they have submitted papers in their thesis, although none of their papers were accepted

C

That's reassuring. Everyone I know seems to have 1st author/other papers except me, even second years, or undergrad project students get a mention. I did write a communication, but then the prof decided he wanted to add data to it, then lost interest. My 1st project was a catalogue of disasters, and I insisted on a new project at the end of year 2 as needed results. My new protein has generated papers, and invited to conferences for other people so far, so maybe I should be more hopeful.

F

cc, I think you are fine. Perhaps have a paper writing session once you have submitted.