No research or spelling skills yet wanting to do a PhD...???

G

I am a little confused, most people write that they are looking for a studentship, yet they don't seem to be able to spell one word correctly or do any research themselves (what Uni to go to etc...). How would those people be able to publish a paper or do complex research??? It's just so many of them, anybody any comments?

G

I think spelling is very important for PhD study - writing up a thesis would be a nightmare if your basic skills weren't up to scratch. But saying that, this is just a forum for views etc., we are not aiming to publish our comments here in a scientific journal!!

G

I agree - it's really a disgrace the spelling mistakes that go on here! I suppose sometimes it's hard to double check what you've written so they are easily overlooked! As for the lack of research people do it's really is very scary!!!

G

Let's remember though that for many people posting in this section (and especially the International section) English is not their first language. I know I'd be prone to making spelling errors if posting in a foreign language so perhaps we shouldn't be too critical.

G

Hey what about dyslexic people? One of my best friends is dyslexic and his spelling is really bad but he is still really clever. Why is everyone on here so critical?

G

I think the people that can't even research for a project are the most worrying. It doesn't matter what country you are from, if you can't research then you can't research. Its not discrimination, its a fact of life that they are not suitable. As for the spelling mistakes, that is not a big problem as word processors sort that out whilst you study, and there are dyslexic people, they cannot help this.

G

I agree. We are not talking about minor spelling mistakes here...How could they ever publish with those grammar and spelling mistakes??? And the questions they ask...Like somebody will read it and provide them funding instantly...What are these people thinking???

G

I don't mean to be critical. I am not talking about minor spelling mistakes and I know many dyslexic people that are very, very smart. But some people can't even get get a proper sentence structure together...Believe me I am not a spelling bee myself. I am just curious what others think. I did not try to insult anyone and hope I did not. Good luck to everyone.

G

I'm sure if they are that rubbish they will not get a place on a PhD. So why do you even care?

G

The reason people should care is that when they apply for PhDs they may have the qualifications to get them an interview. This would deny someone that is a little less qualified getting an interview. I know getting an undergraduate degree is hard, but these people could possibly be could at 'studying' and not 'researching'. If the lower qualified candidate was the better researcher, the supervisor would never know because the person with no initiative has denied them of an interview space.

G

I hope that makes sense

G

I agree, it's kind of sad, b/c many of these people have such hopes and may waste their valuable time

G

Well said Stu! The system sucks - just because you got a first doesn't automatically make you a good researcher! Sometimes people with less academic results make better candidates as they have more to prove so are more focused and determined. They don’t apply because they couldn’t think of anything else to do.

G

I agree to Stu and X. Very smart people are not necessarily academically good, have a look at Einstein, he was never a good student. But I have to say you would have to have some skills to communicate your knowledge. And writing a thesis without research and English skills is hopeless. But many of these people I am sure are brilliant, but I doubt they would pass the TOEFL...

G

what was said by X is exactly what i meant. I think that maybe as part of the application you should have to do a small literature review or something. I know that a research proposal is required, but maybe the supervisors should select a few candidates, make them do some written work, then the best of those get through. That would be far fairer. I spoke to a supervisor a while back and he actually said that he never looks at non-EU applicants.