Nomination knock back

A

Such a stressful day: turns out my nomination for a funded collaborative PhD took a detour, when the AHRC requested confirmation of the duration of my MA studies. Simple admin problem (I did my p/t MA in 3 years, rather than 2, as I suspended for a year for the birth of my 3rd child), but it became a real nail-biter. Anyone else going through the J-es system??

M

Exactly same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. My MA was 2 yrs, but full-time, and I'm doing the PhD at the same institution, so am apparently only eligible for 2 years funding from AHRC. (This is despite having had no funding for MA.) I'm accepting 2 yrs on part-time basis, which enables me to work p/t to supplement income, but hope to complete on f/t basis within 3.3(?) funded years.

Anyway, I'm assuming they're checking for this reason but that actually it doesn't apply to you. From what you say, it seems likely that your MA course would have been 1 yr f/t, had you chosen that route. If so, I'm sure you'll be fine. If f/t equivalent would have been 2 years, and you're at the same uni, then you'll be in the same boat as me. The 3 yrs has probably just confused them, so they're double checking.

Congrats on the nomination btw. It'll be fine :-)

A

Yup, my MA would've been 1yr full time, but I chose to do p/t as I have 3 children, and I'm doing my PhD at a different university. They've checked all my records now, and are satisfied that my application is accurate/honest. After all the elation of getting the nomination, it took the wind out of my sails. Still, it's back on track now (enough metaphors?), and I've been told that my nomination has progressed through to the next phase of checks.