Norming the stimuli

S

Fair enough!

S

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6387611.stm

Next stop laser rifles, we are doomed!!

A

Lol scamp! “Planet of the Apes”, it will not be long ...

B

Oh dear Scamp. You seem very disillusioned. Hmmm. I see what you're saying about Cognitive Psychology - I do things similar to what you describe, and my PhD is Cognive Neuroscience.

Why do you continue? You don't seem very happy where you are. Did you do your undergraduate degree at your current university? Your department sounds suspiciously like the department where I got my BSc. Couldn't you move to a different uni?

S

I was sure you would come back with something like that! At least you say you do cognitive neuroscience and not psychology! I think there should be a separation (also in the undergrad level). Dont you agree with that?

S

America is the place to go (to do PSYCHOLOGY) but it is a little difficult at the moment! However, I am working towards this direction!

If you were an undergrad in my Uni, I bet you had loved it then! I dont know, I really cant see how mastering computer programming relates to being a psychologist! I am glad however that there are people who can see that. I thought that ALL of the undergrads in my department were depressed about it (as I have heard many of them saying).

S

No, I didnt do my BSc here. I did it in Germany where psychology is more broadly perceived. I think I should have joined the Max Planck Institute for Human Development in Berlin but the competition there is huge! During my PhD I do some side experiments that are of MY interest, so I will just wait to finish the PhD and then do the stuff I want (in US preferably). What about you? Are you happy where you are?

C

i'm kinda speculating here, but from the sound of it you want to run some sort of reliability statistic (like cronbach's alpha) to see if the ratings for each dimension are similar across raters, or whether they show greater individual differences and are in that case unreliable. If you have a alpha value of around .8 you can assume there is a high degree of agreement over the ratings, and then take the average rating as the norm value for each face on each dimension. These can then be compared to whatever measurement of recognition you are using.

On the other hand the addition of distictive features after the norming process has stumped me. Maybe i'm misinterprettign what your trying to do....

B

Hi, I'm not sure an alpha level is appropriate. I seriously doubt the parametric-ness of your data!! I still think Kelly's test of concordance is the way forward.

Scamp - I am dying to know where you are now!

S

Thanks guys for your advice (I wish you agreed though )

I wish I could tell you Bobby!

You still didnt tell me your opinion though!

B

Opinion on what? I will give it, but which part did you want a response to?

M

Hi Scamp,

For a really good applied book on measurement and analysis of scales you could try the following:
Scaling Procedures for Self-report Measures in the Social Sciences: Issues and Applications (Paperback)
by Richard G. Netemeyer (Author), William O. Bearden (Author), Subhash Sharma (Author)

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way, shape, or form related to the authors.