not sure what to do

I applied for a job a while ago and just been offered an interview for it.

Its a non-academic job at a uni, but utilises all my skills. Its well paid and local, so is equivalent of me getting £6k more because I don't have to pay for commuting i.e. its £32k but if I got that in london I'd have to pay £6k to commute, so really only being on £26 (does that make sense!?)

It sounds right up my street.

BUT

Although I haven't told my sup I've applied (And I asked for them to not ask for references until after interview), she has expressed that she thinks I should be in academia and doing an academic job. She is also currently paying me for a part time RA role - so if I take a job it will look like I'm snubbing her generosity.

There's also a potential opportunity coming up in my department next year to take on part time (with an opportunity to go into full time) lecturing.

But I'm so confused, the job is great, in the short term at least, but will I be giving up a) my chance to get this lecture position (even though its pretty vague about if it is availbale and will still have to interview and b) the relationship with my supervisor (she can be pretty nasty if you cross her) before my thesis is complete

!?

oh - obviously not actually GOT the job, I'm just stressing that if I go to interview, they may contact sup cos she's a reference and she'll find out and the world will end! argh!

C

Do you know the Michael Winner advert - "calm down dear" ?  I love that and was the phrase that came to my mind when i read this post.

Although that said.. it took me ages to work out what I'd do...  then I thought.

I would be upfront about it, tell her you've applied as a short term move, good experience, less travelling so therefore ( important point) gives you more time to concentrate on PhD.

Could you do the RA role on different terms / hours ?   

Upshot is, I would discuss it with her even tell her your concerns about how she may feel and how much you appreciate her support.  That way you haven't crossed her.

That said,  relationship with sup is so blinking important.. so I would, short term, prioritise that if you do want to go into academia.

Am i contradicting myself now ?   I wasn't confused before :-$

Right where's the coffee.

Thanks Chuff!

The one thing that puts me off telling her, is that a reference came through to her for me for a different matter - for a registration thing rather than a job. And she got all uppity and wondered why she had to do a reference, until I told her it wasn't a job.

I'm not at all sure I want to go into academia. I think the job would be enjoyable, but only for a year, maybe 5 years max. So confused!

C

happy to "help"  :$

It gets more tricky doesn't it.

I still think a straight conversation is the only way.

If you think you'd enjoy the job, don't know if you want to go into academia, its more money etc. then its "just" her stopping you..  you don't really know that she would be uppity. I understand that you have a pretty good inkling but...  was it another advert that said "its good to talk".

The only thing I'm certain of though, is that the world will not end.  Not over this anyway.

I'm going back to my one paragraph which has taken me all afternoon.  god i could kill it.