Not sure where to start

D

I really want to do a PhD - perhaps consider me slightly mad.  I have a couple of questions about applications if somebody could give me some advice please.

1. If you don't get an interview for a particular PhD, but a really keen on a particular department and their research, how would it be to apply for further Phd's there in the future?

2.  I have an idea for a PhD, going further from my undergrad dissertation, there is no research currently in this particular area, or very limited research. I hope to do it at a certain university because I don't have an option to move house.  I have found a professor at the university by looking at research interests etc on the internet - I no longer live near the university where I did the initial research. Is it possible or wise to send an email to the person questioning them whether they would be interested in trying to get funding to do the project?  SHould I attach my CV as well or just send a background in the email?

Sorry that I am waffling, hoping someone with a bit more experience could help me.

Thanks in advance:-)

H

1. Yes that is fine

2. Yes by all means send him an email. That's how most contact is made. mention your research interest and how you'd be interested in him supervising the project, attach your CV for his consideration too, and see what he says. He may already have funding or may be interested in getting you funding.

Good luck! :)

C

I didn't create my own project so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will help later! But I think it's standard for you to send a polite email to the potential supervisor with a summary of your idea and ask if they would be willing to supervise, you can mention that you would need funding but I think the responsibility of getting funding will often be a joint venture not just the supervisor, or perhaps just you alone with some advice from the sup. I may even look into the potential funding options so that if you discuss this with the supervisor they know that you've done your research. Not to be too disheartening but just keep in mind how difficult funding is to get at the moment, and I think you've missed funding apps for this year so it'd be 2012 you'd be applying for. I would definitely attach a CV too.

Hope that helps,
Caroline

D

Thanks for your replies already, I am looking for Jan2012 or later start I guess. I don't really know much about the whole process, I guess the worst someone could say is it isnt for them and point me in the right direction :)

Thanks again

B

There's definitely no problem in applying for further PhDs at the same place - did you ask for feedback on why you weren't selected? That might give you some insight into what your chances are in the future.

Getting funding for a specific project really varies a lot according to subject area. Eg if it's a subject covered by the AHRC and the ESRC, there are only certain universities with PhD funding available and they advertise once a year. But then you do apply with your own project and compete for the funded place. As far as I understand the ERSC anyway, a university without that funding can't even apply for a research project with a linked studentship any more, so however well-meaning the academic, they might not be able to do what you want.

In the sciences it's definitely rarer to do a wholly self-defined project and tends to be for self-funders. If it is science you're in, perhaps rather than sending a project outline, you could write to this person, attach your cv, and say you're interested in their research, and do they know whether there is any likelihood of any PhD funding in that area at that university in the next year or so or how you might apply as an individual for any such funding. You could mention your particular interest in sub-area x in your email.

Essentially I think I'd ask for his/her advice on getting funding rather than phrasing it as in essence 'please spend massive quantities of your spare time putting together a grant proposal to suit my exact research interests' even if it's something said person isn't that interested in being a PI for, or even worse has spent the last few years applying for funding on exactly that and getting turned down (which if it's a fringe area isn't unlikely). Maybe I'm being too sensitive but I think I might be a bit irritated to get that sort of request from a complete stranger... Incidentally just so that you know - research grant applications to the research councils take a very long time from start to award / rejection. It can be about a year.

D

Thanks bewildered for replying.

1. I havnt heard yet whether I have an interview yet, I was just wondering If I didnt happen to get one, whether that would put me out of the running in applying for any others there.

2. It is a science PhD, I guess it would probably under psychology and I would think they would get funding, e.g. ESRC. What time of year is the funding released out of interest? I was thinking of contacting the person along the lines you were suggesting, ie when and is there likely to be funding. Incidentally looking at their online details in more detail they actually suggest that potential PhD students with an interest in xxxx are encouraged to contact. But I agree the phrasing of the email will be important.

Thanks again