oh dear there's a heard of rhinos headng my way

======= Date Modified 21 54 2010 22:54:34 =======
Hello good people of the forum. Anyone else feeling shell-shocked this morning? Especially arts people?

I'm wondering what the point of me being n the UK is - my research is about funding structures in an industry (which brought considerable profit to the UK) that now has almost NONE and I'm working in HE which, for my subject, now has next to none. I'm trying to make a point about the way in which things are funded, but now it just feels like I'm shouting into deep space, or desperately trying to cylce through a herd of on-coming rhinocerous...

Anyone else feel this way?

I wish I could edit the title - I meant herd, not heard.

W

Yep, I hear you in an analogous sort of way. My work is based on the NHS as it is now, but the NHS is set to change very dramatically in the near future, which sort of makes everything I've done redundant. So I have my own herd of rhinos to dodge with the exception that they don't have £ signs written on them like yours. With mine, it's 'no more clinical governance'.

B

Quote From eska:

I wish I could edit the title - I meant herd, not heard.

Didn't even notice - I noticed "headng" though ;-)

Yes, our society is changing dramatically (and horribly!). Gloomy times indeed. I'm feeling a lot of "oh what's the point" at the moment. I'm sorry it's hitting your actual research too. As if the hit academia and, well, society in general is taking isn't bad enough.

Hope you recover from your shell-shock soon (gift)

S

I feel your pain, and understand your typos - it has that effect on you ;-)

Its a nightmare, utter nightmare- and I too am thinking wtf is the point.... not in a good place right now :-(

C

I was feeling a little down at the prospect of post PhD life and trying to break in to a career in HE - especially in my own department - with ever decreasing budgets. To think that for you guys it affects your thesis as well - my heart goes out to you...

A

Hi Eska,
Yup, I'm up the lookout tower, with my binoculars, and there's definitely a stampede coming over the horizon...
Still waiting to hear what the impact may be on fully funded AHRC studentships: will PhD fees increase? Will the AHRC funding cover increased university fees? Will the funding be reduced? Will it be taken away?

Hi folks, thanks for your responses. Maybe not as bad as I thought; or maybe I've just got used to the idea - much of my thesis will be more a historical study than I had planned, that's all. Just very, very sad.