Oh my dayz how can they do this! I was just informed that i can't start my PhD this month ..........

C

Hi guys! I'm stumped. I can't believe this is happening. I was just informed by the research administrator in my department that my supervisor can't enrol me for the February start because he said there isn't any funding.
I was giving a scholarship to do my PhD and was assured that there was funding for at least the 1st year and finding one for subsequent yrs won't be a problem. I agreed to this and quit my job (not related to engineering) and started an administrative role in the university, only to be told about this at the last minute.
The thing is, my supervisor saw me this morning, greeted me and smiled and didn't even mention it to me! When it was his fault all along. I had to hear it from the research administrator.

Now, I’m basically back to square 1 after my high hopes of starting this month.

Any thought as to how to go about this, guys?

M

Unfortunately I don't see what you can do, although the supervisor hasn't been great, clearly! Maybe the first thing is to ascertain WHEN funding will be available...

T

I would go and knock on your supervisor's door straight away. He'll be able to tell you the full story, and there may be some way around it.

Good luck.

C

Thanks guys. He was supposed to have drafted a proposal long ago so that i could apply for more funding for the subsequent years ('cos that's what my job in the uni entails) but he didn't. I think confronting him tactfully would be the appropriate thing. At least he has to let me know when funding will be available.

S

This is easy for me to say (not having fought for my PhD position - I don't know your story), but unless this is THE project/supervisor/uni you want I would look elsewhere. It doesn't sound like your supervisor is at all interested, the normal greeting that you mention sounds like he has completely forgotten all about you and (with three and bit years of experience under my belt) I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole (I LOVE that expression). Could be wrong.

A

If you were offered a place and funding you have a contract with the University which they can't just pull out of. Did you get anything in writing? Is there a student advice centre at the uni? I would go and talk to them, i am sure there is some legal obligation. It is the same principle as being offered a job, they can't just turn round and say 'sorry' without offerin compensation.

C

Thanks sue.
You know, i had to turn down a project manager of a company who wanted me to do a project with him (but in scotland and i'm in london) because the uni had already contacted another company to do a project there.

I'm looking at what options i have. I'm thinking if its worth contacting the manger again and letting him know where i stand at the moment.

J

Ask about bridging loans: I was paid of a bridging loan at firs5t cos the same happened to me.

Off to dentist now but I'll give more details tommoroew

C

Hi Aliby. The only contract i got was for the administrative duties in the uni that came as part of the 'scholarship'. What i don't understand is how they can tell me that there was, get me on board, and then tell me that there isn't at the last minute.

A

http://www.qaa.ac.uk/academicinfrastructure/codeofpractice/section1/postgrad2004.pdf
see p11

I would still go and talk it over with someone in an advice centre if you have one, or someone in the SU. If you have an agreement it is a contract, even if it wasnt anyting 'formal'.

C

Cheers aliby. I'll check out the link.
I do not want to be pessimistic but believe that this is just a little glitch or go as far as going to the SU (even if i do appreciate the adive and tempted to do so). My supervisor has been nagged by one of the administrators whom i work closely with and he has said he's going to write a proposal by tonight.
This, at least, would help me apply for some funding if nothing else.

J

The bridging loan that I had is a faculty fund set up to bridge the gap between a supervisor winning funding from a research council, and that funding actually arriving in the university bank account. If what has happened is that the funding body is delayed in paying the university, you may be able to claim bridge funding. Howvere your supervisor had to apply for that.

C

Thank you all for your comments and help. Tomorrow, I'm having a meeting with the visiting prof. who was with my supervisor the day i was offered the position. He doesn't like what's going on and wants to sort it out. So, there might be some positive news tomorrow.

I

Well good luck, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it gets sorted out 8)

C

Cheers i00t2000. Me too.