Ok how are you doing it?

S

Alice - you're usually allowed a year to write up without fees. I've just filed for exemption from fees for the next academic year.

L

You're welcome Ang, and I also agree 4-6 hours is the maximum i can do in a day, no matter what! even if i glue myself to the chair all day and night.

J

Hi there. I am funded too and fully expect to complete within the time expected, but smilodon - you say that you can apply for a last year without fees at your uni? Sorry to highjack the thread a bit but I would love a bit more info about that...

J

L

Thanks Ang for your kind words!

--

Janey, i believe its called transfer to writing up stage. during this stage, you are telling the university that you are simply writing up the thesis and are not collecting any new data. the uni then give you one year to submit your thesis and you do not have to pay tuition fees. you should have a form that states WRITING UP TRANSFER

if you do not submit your thesis you are then liable to a FINE. for my uni its £250. other universities have different fines and regulations.

contact your post graduate officer / tutor. about transfering to writing up stage and thus not paying registration tuition fees. i hope that helps

L

*sorry i meant, if you do not submit your thesis, within one year of transferring to "writing up stage" you are then liable to a fine.

S

Well I've just checked the details and it says ''Exemption may be granted to you if you are in residence and have completed the minimum number of terms required and are not making substantial use of University facilities. The minimum number of terms for full-time students is 9. The minimum number of terms for part-time students is 15.'' So I have applied for exemption and as far as I'm aware I don't have to pay any more fees ever after this October (9 terms)! Is this unusual? Do other people ahve to keep paying fees until they submit (perish the thought!)?

O

I believe I get a fee free 6 month writing up period--and some kind of fee charged to you after that---if you do not finish within the 6 months. I really do need to check on this!!!

J

Thanks for your help and apologies again for hijacking the thread a bit...

I really was not aware of this... is it different if you are funded? Because I am very very aware that I have to submit 'on time' which I assumed was when my funding ran out... (I have to do this anyway because I could never write up without any money :( )

C

It shouldn't be any different... I'm funded for 3 years but have until September 2010 to submit my thesis. That's 4 years after I started. I checked out the fees thing yesterday and I think I have to pay something like £100-something to register for the 4th year.

S

No, I'm funded for 3 years. There is always more pressure to submit to the deadline when funded as depts/supervisors are held accountable for late submissions by the funding body - and some funding bodies are more demanding than others. But that is a different issue. You should find out what your uni policy is exactly. It is very, very common to submit late - espeically by a few months.

J

Thanks for the info, it's so helpful!! I shall look into it immediately... At the mo I feel like I need as much time as possible. Forever!!

S

at my uni, we have to pay a "continuation fee" from year 4 onwards (FT students). i think it's something like 500£/year for home students. already year 3 is "only" 75% of the full fee.

kind of weird, considering that i'll be expecting more advice and feedback and generally work from my supervisor when i'll be writing up and nearing submission than ever before... but i'm not complaining about having to pay less!