Older Applicant Chemistry

P

Hi,

I'm wanting some info on older applicants in chemistry, possibly pharmaceutical career. Personally, I'm 34 and thinking about embarking on an MS in Chemistry and then a PhD in chemistry after that, perhaps. Getting into the MS Chem will be no prob since I can do that at my current University. However, I'm wondering what chances I would have at getting into a PhD chem program.

The funny thing is that due to age discrimination laws, nobody can outright deny you based on age. I presume if I called a university they would give me some politically correct answer, but I'm hoping to hear from any of you who follow this board some real info. Anybody, have a good take on this?

Pollywog334

J

Hello you are in the same boat I am in!

I am 33 myself and trying to get onto a PhD and I am somewhat qualified almost in my field and finishing my MSc. As long as you can get an MS and get good grades in it, age shouldn't matter as I know many older people doing PhD - also it is worthwhile trying for a PhD at your alma mater as they would know your work and you as a person and thats how the PhDs I have noticed tend to go. Alternatively you can speak to the supervisor you are interested in also.

Sorry it is such poor information, but I hope it helps

Janine