Olympics Basketball! another PhD distraction?!

O

Is it justanother PhD distraction...the Olympics? Is anyone else watching--should I say you can get live coverage on the BBC website??! I am enjoying a taped game highlights clip of the USA-China basketballgame...though it does sound a bit weird to hear basketball commentary in very polished BBC accents!!!!! "And he goes upstairs, by gum, it was a fast break," ...!

Darn, no men's basketball today, but the USA plays Angola tomorrow at 1 p.m., so I will be sure to tune into that--if I can find it!

I love watching basketball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even without a PhD to work on. And the way the USA men's team was playing, its pure artistry!

O

Oh--but today its USA women v. China in the bball at 1:00!!! I hope they have that on the BBC website!!!!!

C

Anyone think we can make procratinating into an olympic sport?

C

Must admit the Team GB mens rowers are a rather lovely PhD distraction...

O

Oh, yes, I mean if table tennis is an Olympic sport, how can procrastination be far behind? But I think it will be a fast paced, exciting sport, with a lot of spectator appeal ( unlike, say, golf), complete with BBC accented commentating, "And she makes a fastbreak from her keyboard, cruising on to the PhD forum with an amazing amount of speed, she passes the procrastination puck to her team mate ( because this is best played as a team sport) and sprints to the sidelines awaiting another shot. Her team mate takes the puck, breaking high, nearly into the productive zone, but saves it, and its back into the center ring. The procrastination puck --its a battle---...."

O

Oh yes, I have watched some of the men's rowing as well.
And the highlights of the equestrian cross country competition...maybe I should go back and watch some of the dressage...!

O

ahhh its the team and individual cross country in the equestrian competition this afternoon! Right, thats my afternoon's work sorted!

O

Lovely, how the BBC website has live coverage available! OK, that is it, I am officially hooked. =)

I love watching the Olympics--the ceremony, the drama, the competition, all of the elite athletes of the world competing in such a variety of sports--even with the nationalistic overtones of the sports, it is still such a wonderful event, and of course, I cheer on my own country as much as anyone.

O

The two sports I adore watching used to be sports I played, the equestrian events and basketball--makes me simultaneously want to go find a basketball and shoot some hoops, and dust off my riding boots and helmet and go ride again!

O

Michael Phelps in the swimming!!!

J

I've been watching too, but I've switched it off now.... and come on here Arghhhhh!!!!! Promise I'll get something done today, maybe after lunch???

O

108-63 US women's basketball team against China.
The women's play was a lot more gritty and team oriented than the men's play--the men had a lot of show boating, I think, of the individual skills of each player, but the womens' teams, both China and the US, just had outstanding basketball fundamentals--was awesome to watch, great plays on both sides, but the US women were simply unstoppable!

A

I do not know anything about basketball, but the ladies just got a bronze medal in synchro 10m platform diving... Yayyyy!!!

C

roll on olympic swimming and diving....

O

Well done to the UK on its latest medals. I am looking forward to seeing more of the equestrian events--the BBC video coverage on its website is superb, and the commentary is really fun and helpful! I have to check to see how the national teams are doing after yesterday's cross country, I simply do not remember, but on the other hand, I just love watching the horses and riders go round without regard to their nationality! Well done BBC on the horse riding events!