on pause mode

M

I am feeling worthless today. Stuck with a revise and resubmit I can see everyone else progress in life but me. People graduate, get married, have children, do an academic career and at the moment I cannot get on with my life. I am on stand-by... or pause mode... :-( Suddenly all my dreams for the future feel so ... distant and a PhD graduation is like a fainted dream...

H

I've come to realise that although it seems like everyone else's lives are more sorted than mine, scratch the surface and it isn't always the case. And even the people who have got it sussed will probably hit stagnant periods at times.

Are there short and medium term goals that you can focus on that don't involve comparison with anyone else?

D

Sorry you're having one of those days! A lot of people, myself included, experience that feeling of being stuck in limbo.

Maybe one of the reasons you're feeling down is comparing yourself with others who have moved on. But of course, you know you shouldn't compare your journey with others. You also know that you've already come quite far, and that you're close - very close - to finishing. As challenging as it is right now, change that "faint dream" into vivid, visual image. You know you can do it!