On the subject of laptops but different topic - imaging software

P

Is there anyone else out there who is using images as part of their research? I am collecting and taking my own photographs for my Art History PhD and wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on software for storing these. I need more than is included with PCs as I need to include lots of info on the images I have and make them searchable by date, genre etc.

M

Hi PamW,

I'm not using these kinds of images, but have you tried looking at www.download.com? There is a lot of freeware image organisation software there, ranging from those produced by big companies (eg Google Picasa) to smaller developers (eg IrfanView, which is very popular). Also, I believe PhotoShop Elements (£60 in the UK) includes organising features, although I'm not sure as to the complexity of information which can be stored.

I use EndNote for images too. I have a separate library for images that are not part of the references, but my own for my research. You can attach images and add as much information as you want on EndNote. Images are searchable and manageable just like references.

P

Thanks. EndNote sounds as if it might be worth looking at first. I'm glad I haven't forked out on some expensive software already.