One for the Mod's

G

It is my opinion that this forum would benfit from an off-topic section.

S

I'm not done with the 10 angry African women in a caravan or Stanford Man yet, can we have separate sub pages for them too?

Good call - we'll see what we can do.

....not the 10 Angry Women, but the Off Topic bit.

S

Does it really matter? I tend to just use the "Latest Messages" button and rarely take notice of which discussion it's in. Also, as mentioned on another thread, some would argue that going off-topic is a welcome part of PhD life.

Also, as I'm sure you appreciate, the clique-club will tend to answer serious new posters in a friendly and helpful way alongside our usual banter threads. I personally think the board would benefit from a few new regulars and some of us try to keep the board ticking over through the day to maintain interest. Point taken on the volume of recycled old threads though, the uninitiated might not get the joke that these are redundant threads.

S

Sorry folks to repeat this from another thread, it is probably better posted here. Anyway:

I've thought about this (admittedly through an alcoholic haze) but I'd still prefer ALL posts to appear under the Latest Messages page. The reason being that, silly threads aside, any prospective newbies will look at the frequency of postings before deciding whether it is worth their while to post a question. If there's 6 hours between posts on the serious pages people will write this off as a not very lively forum and not come back. Take Wednesday, I think the first serious post that day came in at about 5pm as I commented at the time. Also, it tends to be the off topic threads that get the most responses. So if you want to sell a lively forum, you do need the off topic stuff to be somewhat prominent.

Have an off topic page if you must (I personally don't think it's necessary as I've said on other threads) but keep the posts appearing in the latest messages page.

G

That being the case then the forum needs better moderation to stop the trivial detracting from the main theme.

A

I vote to keep the 'latest threads' section, it would be a real pain to have to trawl through all the different boards.

S

"Okay then. How about we remove all silly threads, alienate the regular posters (who do give advice as well as comment on the latest trends in mooncups), then just leave a carcass of a forum ?

I'm willing to revolt if anyone else is." DanB

DanB, after the post I read this morning, I'm with you. No more jokes, serious posts only. It would probably do me the world of good anyway as it would remove one of the attractions of this board, allowing me to do more work.

What do you think, try it for one week and reappraise?

S

Okay, I will not be involving myself in off-topic or silly threads. I also think it best that I do not comment on these silly posts as this will merely contribute to them being bumped to the top of the board (and being read by others) which is not what we want on this board.

These boards are for clean, wholesome PhD-based discussion. If there are any other volunteers who want to help clean up these boards, please volunteer here. I shall not be using smileys either, just in case someone thinks I'm trying to be funny.

S

Thank you DanB, it is encouraging to know that there are likeminded people on this board. May I enquire who the special guest is?

S

Okay, I understand the tricky problem of maintaining content focussed on PhDs. Distractions and temptations are bad. But with plenty of will and determination we will clean up these boards between the three of us.

T

I am inclinded to agree with you there DanB. I think it is all too easy to ignore the masters students but this forum, as far as i am led to believe, is open for all postgrad students and therefore advice must be offered to all without discrimination.

S

You are of course correct. I offer my sincerest apologies for discriminating against Masters students. However, I must make you aware that Post-doctoral students are also invited members of thos forum, and we should be as amenable to their needs as possible.

A

Don't forget us Post-docs After all, it says on the home page;

"PostgraduateForum.com aims to bring together students, post-docs and lecturers to discuss any issues relating to postgraduate study"