Online OR Distance PhD in International Relations

S

I already have a PhD from a prestigious university in London. However, although I enjoy my job I am looking to begin another part-time PhD in international relations. Does anyone know of any IR PhD programmes run by reasonably well known institutions (i.e not the University of Phoenix or Open University) that are suitable for distance learners?

I am primarily interested in British (i.e thesis only) style PhD's though I would also be open to considering a programme run by a reasonably well known US univeristy.

S

Anyone? Buckingham and Birbeck seem to offer research only PhDs (i.e. without preliminary coursework) but I was wondering if there are any other credible universities that do so OR offer distance learning. It is extremely depressing to see how "Americanised" the British PhD is becoming - even compared to when I last looked around in 2004.

B

Unless you're somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan I'd avoid Buckingham. Two problems occur to me about your plans - you already have a PhD from a UK university - that means no more subsidised fees so you could end up paying a lot of money (international rates - it's the ELQ rule). Do you have any qualifications in IR already? If not, given the swarms of people doing IR PhDs they can be reasonably picky, you may find universities unwilling to take the risk of someone without doing a MA first. Otherwise I'd just ask the institutions that interest you what they think - many do offer more flexible arrangements particularly if you've been through a social sciences methods course for your last PhD.

But, sorry I have to ask, why on earth would you do this? For any IR-based career other than academia, there has to be an easier route surely! And presumably you rejected academia after your first PhD - and if you're thinking about IR as a route into academia do a search for wjgibson 's posts - really not a good idea.

What's up with Open University by the way - it's much better respected than Buckingham or Phoenix.

S

Thanks for reminding me about the ELQ rule - though I think most ELQ students pay less tha the full international student fees (and I know some universities don't charge any ELQ fees). My motivations for doing another PhD (this time in IR) was simple intellectual interest in the subject. However, the OU is certainly an option - though Buckingham's fees are not the worst that I've seen and I'm not particuarly leftwing.

B

======= Date Modified 10 Nov 2009 22:29:53 =======
Fair enough - I still think you're mad though! As to where as I said, it depends on your academic background. Universities that are any good are going to want an u/g or MA in IR or a similar subject, if you've not got that then you know you're looking at the lower level of institutions. If you have that though, and you did the generic ESRC-recognised social sciences methods stuff for your other PhD, then that's really all the coursework most places require, so why not look for a relevant supervisor and run the scenario past them.

If by any remote chance you're a scientist and now wanted to do something peace / conflict related in IR, then try Bradford - they've got a few people there who made that transition themselves and could give you good advice on what you'd need in academic background to manage a PhD.

O

Hey
I know one site that provides list of top online accredited universities you can visit this link http://www.online-degrees-and-courses.com/ Or http://www.distance-learning-college-guide.com/ and enroll yourself in any of college which you seem to be the best.
Good luck!