op tips for conference presentations abstracts

C

I'm grappling with my first attempts at writing abstracts for conference presentations, both poster and student feedback sessions. I've searched a variety of sources and looked at some of the previous years conference abstracts and feel I have a fairly clear idea of the do's and don'ts. However, I am aware that we often learn by our mistakes and of course by our sucesses. Would anyone like to share their experiences of submitting abstracts for conferences. Do you get feedback if you are rejected? Or any tips for submitters, that sort of thing.
Thank you.

S

I too am about to do this and ANY advice would be appreciated. I am sure half of writing it is about confidence i.e. Personally I feel everything I know is basic and everyone will know more on my subject than me, therefore I am worried I will write something too fundamental and get

C

I always used to use provisional language when I wrote an abstract - and it didn't exactly inspire confidence.

So don't use 'I hope to show' - 'I will demonstrate' because you do show and you do demonstrate!

A key point is to make sure that the abstract that you are submitting fits in with the theme of the conference exactly. You can have a brilliant idea/abstract/paper, but if it is unrelated to the theme of the conference it will not be accepted.

A

I agree about talking about your paper as though it exists and tailoring your abstract to the conference proposal (and also have a specific panel in mind if they give you that information). I just wrote two proposals over the holidays and both have been accepted.