Opening a student/graduate under strange/silly circumstances...

W

Hello everyone, I begin a GTA Studentship this October but I have a crappy problem in the meantime that I hope someone may be able to help me with. I don't have a student/graduate account and I'm out of cash until I find a Summer job with the prospects on unpaid direct debits. Would it still be possible for me to apply even though I'm about to graduate but before I begin this GTA in October and hopefully transform my existing account into s student/graduate friendly one. Will my bank be awkward? Thank you all.

J

yes, if you are graduating then you should get graduate terms for 3 years....well i do at natwest. you can always change banks to get a graduate account, you don't have to stay with the bank you have your student account with.
i have been on student trems for 10 years :)....well planned!

jo.x

J

sorry "terms"....bad spelling

Is your current account a student account? If so, its terms should apply for another year at least (i.e if you had an interest-free overdraft, that should remain interest-free etc.). I would talk to the bank manager and explain. So they can keep your existing terms and conditions for another few months until you become student again. But if it isn't a student account, you may not be able to open one until October.

I am with Smile bank and they are very approachable when things get complicated.

oh sorry, you already said you don't have a student account.

In that case, applying for a graduate account somewhere would be a good idea as jo131278 suggested, you can then open a student account in October.

W

Thanks for you help everyone. I've managed to sort it all. I'm with Natwest and they're going to give me a student account on 3rd year undergraduate terms and then change it to a graduate account from the 17th July...and then back to a student account when I start my Phd/GTA scheme in October. Had to go to 3 different branches to sort it. I have a couple of job interviews in the pipeline (dreaded telesales!), so if I'm successful, at least I'll be earning over the Summer and manage to get back in the black. Thanks again

great news