opinions please

I'm going back to restructure my lit review soon. It starts with a short review of my research area in the US and UK i.e. how research has evolved in my field and what topics have been researched. (its moved with politics and the introduction of certain legislation in either country)

I was thinking about doing a 1 page timeline at the end of this short review - on the top being US research and the bottom being UK research - obviously not every single paper published (!) but the vague topic areas covered and key legislation dates.

I like presenting stuff visually like this, but I'm a bit scared its a bit too 'primary school'

thoughts?

D

Why not? Whenever I do something I think, does this add to my point, is this informative, helpful, does it hold my interest (trying all the while to look at it as an objective observer).

If you think it would add to your literature review, go for it!

P

I think that's a great idea! Have you considered putting the timeline at the start of the review rather than the end? I say this only because I *personally* (meaning you don't have to agree with me!) feel that a graphic timeline will give me the general view of the topic covered, then I can read the details in your writing. (does that make sense? I'm sorry, I've been writing all day and my brain has turned to mush!)

It does make sense - So far I have 8000 words on this section (which I wrote about 2 years ago). I want to reduce that to about 2000 (as its really just an intro into the area and to highlight what hasn't been covered). I've structured it in this time-based way, as there was a big review recently on the UK aspect and I wanted mine to have a different 'edge' to it, so I've done it as a comparison to US research AND done it over time, rather than what has/hasn't been researched in general.

So....maybe I should put it in the middle of this - there's a clean break around 1980s where a new 'age' of research starts, so maybe if I put it there it can be easily referred to while reading??

P

okay, I have a question...

if you were telling this topic to someone that has never read anything about it before (or just a teeny bit of general understanding of the area), say, someone like me, what would be the first thing you want me to understand?

are you my supervisor?? she asks me questions like that! :$

erm......I guess its that while research has progressed since 1950s, its been guided by changes in government and legislation in either country, meaning a load of stuff hasn't really been covered (as its been swayed by the legislation to look at certain stuff if that makes sense).

Timeline at the beginning then

(up)

P

ha ha ha no, I'm just asking what MY sup would ask too!! lol

;-)