Optimal PhD grades

B

Hi Folks, I am on my second year of MSC and was just wondering...what are the optimal grades for a PhD.My Current cumulative is 13.5 out of 20. Can someone advice me whether I would be able to secure a PhD with this kind of cummulative GPA. I still have two more semesters to go though....will appreciate all your advice. For your information, I like doing research.

Regards:-)

P

Hi,

Theres a thread on this somewhere, search the archives..anyway, for a UK place, you need a number of things, in many univs a 65% or a distinction in your MSc and/or dissertation, is a condition. However, let me tell you, this is really just a condition you need to fulfil, the real factors lie elsewhere: your research idea, the supervisor fit, your references, etc etc. Place particular focus on identifying a potential area of research, and place a finger on which academics in the field you'd like to work with. once you get a green signal fromthem in terms of whtehr they r interested in supervising you, you can then focus on instituional needs for the PhD.

As far as the US goes, they dont need a proposal, but a statement of purpose around your tentaive research, and you dont need to select an advisor before your coursework, though as in the UK,its always good to know who's doing what and let that knowledge reflect in your application packagae. again, good grades are always valuable but they aren't more than one factor in the process.

I repeat for the UK, some schools may make a high merit (65%) or a disntiction mandatory as a condition, either/or both in the overal grade and dissertation.

Best, and sorry for the typos, this is very hurried.(up)

B

Hi PhDbug, thanks alot for the reply. Indeed, it's good to know that a 65% is quite enough and that's where my current cummulative lies. I am very sure my final research mark will be much better since I have noticed I can be really good in research. Hopefully all goes well.

Regards and thanks alot!

M

======= Date Modified 19 Sep 2008 13:45:31 =======
Benm, it depends where you want to do your PhD, and where you are studying your masters.

Just to stress....a 65% mark for a UK degree is normally equivalent to a much higher mark in other countries. For example, a 65% UK degree mark, is around a 85% in a Canadian degree.

From a UK admission's perspective, you need at least a 3.2 GPA from a US university to get into a PhD programme (this equates to the lower end of an upper second class honours UK degree...most good places ask for at least a 3.5 GPA).