Options

W

I am just at the end of my first year of a full time PhD. I really enjoy the topic i am working on but hate the PhD lifestyle, i am not eating properly and in tears alot. I moved away from home after suffering alot of family upheaval but i just can't motivate to do anything. I struggle with the writing side and my supervisor and i have decided that my filing system needs modifying to be more efficient.
The research is progressing well but i am unhappy with living away. I am currently looking at what options i have as i don't think i want an academic career once/if i finish.

I am thinking of going part-time and trying to get part-time work. Or downgrading mphil.

I wondered if other people have managed to make this kind of change? or advice on how to make some progress

Thanks

M

I share your feelings, but I don't think I even have any answers for myself! I suppose you need to consider your options - if you downgrade will you get your MPhil done ok and what will you then move on to do? Is there something that you want instead of the academic career and if so what will best prepare you for it? And if you go part time in what way will it help you? Will it benefit your lifestyle and how will it affect your work? Would it just add pressure or would the variety help? I'm sure these are questions you've already asked yourself but I hope it's helpful to have a few ideas reiterated. Good luck.

W

Thanks, yeah there are lots of questions and i am not sure about the answers. I already have a masters and did three years out between undergrad and masters. The masters was there to help give a slight change in careers, but i enjoyed the research side of my dissertation that i thought i would be good. I enjoy the topic i just feel i can't work quick enough or with enough focus for a fulltime phd. Part-time would mean i could probably return home and just commute when i needed (its about 1hr 15min each way). I would try for work in a similar area to topic. But whether i am being realistic or if i am living in a dream world, i am not entirely sure.

I have a meeting with my supervisor tomorrow he knows i am having issues but see what he suggests.